LegacyGT.com

nOOb question on intakes/exausts.

Pako

I'm really just curious, I read a lot of threads about the sound of their intakes/exhaust upgrades, but what performance gains are there? I've even read where it sounds great but at a performance loss.

I would like to think that better air flow would improve performance, but what gains are there if there are no other mods being done?

So to further ask the down and dirty question, will an upgrade to the intake and exhaust alone provide a noticeable improvement over stock? If yes, how much improvement and what after market intake/exhaust are you talking about?

2008 LGT Limited

Future mods - AP when available for the '08.

I installed a K&N short ram on my LGT 06, had it for a couple of months now i'm taking it off to put the stock back on. IMO i lost performance when i put the intake on. ( and the constant whooshing finally got REALLY annoying ) Also i never got my car tuned for it so i'm sure that was most of the problem >.< but even if it was tuned i would still take it off! Just save your money and stay with stock intake imo. I have stock exhaust so i can't tell you anything about that : /

I would like to think that better air flow would improve performance, but what gains are there if there are no other mods being done?

Better airflow is only beneficial if it's the bottleneck in the system, otherwise there will be no gain.

So to further ask the down and dirty question, will an upgrade to the intake and exhaust alone provide a noticeable improvement over stock? If yes, how much improvement and what after market intake/exhaust are you talking about?

Intake without a tune will give you no gain. Even with a tune only AEM intake seem to give noticeable gain. The stock airbox is not a restriction with stock turbo.

Turbo back exhaust should give you some improvement in turbo response and spool even without a tune. Whether or not it would help you put down any noticeable power without a tune, I think that's debatable.

Thanks for the replies as that's what I suspected. I can assume that given other mods that would demand more air coming in, and more exhaust going out, would you benefit from this kind of mod.

Thanks for the replies as that's what I suspected. I can assume that given other mods that would demand more air coming in, and more exhaust going out, would you benefit from this kind of mod.

The key with the legacy is its not like a honda at all, that is what kind of modded cars I had before I got the legacy. IMO from what I've read just about any mod you put on your legacy, afterwards you will need a tune to get the 'true' gains from the mod.

On my honda accord, you could put intake, catback, and headers, you would get respectable gains even untuned, with the legacy, the intake w/o a tune can cause your ride to run lean if I recall. A catback will give you maybe 5whp at peak power, you may lose some low-end torque from opening up the piping, it felt that way to me when I had my perrin catback on the legacy and no other mods. If I was looking to do intake and exhaust just to make the car faster, I wouldn't do it, I would wait for accessport, get that first, then go from there.

Accessport or some form of ecu tuning is the key to getting the gains. If you have to put your ride on the dyno, try and get all of your mods on before you go, rather than piece by piece your ride resulting in having to go back to the dyno many times, it gets expensive quick. If you buy an accessport you can by maps for pretty much exhaust combination setup any setup you can think of with a stock turbo... Good luck, hope this helps...

i drove my 08 for 6k bone stock, installed a cobb tbe and noticed a significant difference. I might install a k&n flat panel filter next, but definitely not an intake. hopefully em will be available soon, should yield the biggest gains of all.

just for the record, i keep throwing a p420 code (emissions), even with a hfc dp.

@tommypenquin,

That does help a lot. That's the way I would like to do it, all at once and tuned by someone who knows what their doing (does not include myself....).

@burnin4,

What kind of difference did you notice with the turbo back exhaust? No other mods/tuning?

i noticed a respectable diff after installing a tbe. a little quicker spool, definitely more power. the down side, I keep getting a po420 cel. I went with the hfc dp, but still get a cel from emission. em should straighten that up, when ever it is released. no other mods, no tuning.

my car dyno'd 219/245 bone stock, based on teh butt dyno I would expect it to be around 230/255 now. I'll put it back on the dyno the next time I'm at topspeed.

burnin4

How long did you have the TBE before the CEL came on? I just installed a Cobb TBE w HFC dp and haven't had any CEL come up yet. I have almost put on 300miles since the install. I definately feel that the car got quicker with the exhaust and no other mods besides an AVO panel filter.

i drove my car with the cobb dp/mp/yp and oem mufflers for about a month (2500 miles) never got a cel. pretty much as soon as i installed the cobb mufflers I got a cel, and it returns almost everyday.

I've gotten good at plugging in my obd reader while driving and erasing the code :lol:

Archived