LegacyGT.com

How are Used tires rough on AWD system?

SlightlyEvil

Just curious - what is it that unevenly worn tires will affect in the AWD system? I've read that before but never seen details or specifics.

Also, as a side note, will 18x7.5 +42 need the fenders rolled with a 1.5" drop (swiftsprings)?

Unevenly worn tires have a different rolling circumference. So, when the car's moving, the differentials are continuously under stress (trying to resist the difference in rotation). This will wear out the diffs. The tires are supposed to be within 0.25" circumference of each other.

Unevenly worn tires have a different rolling circumference. So, when the car's moving, the differentials are continuously under stress (trying to resist the difference in rotation). This will wear out the diffs. The tires are supposed to be within 0.25" circumference of each other.

Supposed to be, but it's not going to hurt if it's a bit more.

A difference of 0.25" on the circumference is equal to a change of 0.035" on the sidewall height. That's very small, and probably can be done by adjusting the pressure by a couple of psi.

oem claims, its a big problem. owners claim its no problem

I personally don't know, and I can't imagine it's that critical since anyone but obsessive forum-participants just aren't gonna know nor care. So, the thousands of Subaru's out there with mismatched tires haven't caused any mass outrage of broken differentials.

That said, how is one to know if their limited slip has stopped limiting slip?

^^ right. its not good for the car.... but how bad is it really? obviously if you have 3 bald tires you wouldnt want to go for a brand new tire one size up.

personaly i wouldnt worry about it too much. but i would still strive to have 4 matching tires. but i would do that on anything but a dually pickup cause then i would need 6 :p

on my 1990 legacy, i replaced the front tires w/ different manufacturer tires. same specs, but they were new and the rears were old. i forget why this was done as it was over 10 years ago at this point. when the transmission blew, i took it to an independant shop (not subaru) and the first thing the guy asked was why different tires were put on it. promptly followed by "different tires absolutely destroy subaru awd transmissions" .........i believe it b/c i lived it. but that was back in 97 and the car had 120K miles on it.

I personally don't know, and I can't imagine it's that critical since anyone but obsessive forum-participants just aren't gonna know nor care. So, the thousands of Subaru's out there with mismatched tires haven't caused any mass outrage of broken differentials.

That said, how is one to know if their limited slip has stopped limiting slip?

Actually, a lot of tire shops well tell people with all-wheel drive systems that they need to replace all four tires. Whether that's true is not isn't really the debate they are really interested in, they are in it for the extra money.

I'd say the list of people driving around with mismatched tires is actually very small.

Also, its not just limited slips that will break. Uneven tires will cause problems on all differentials.

aren't any tire used once you drive on them?? i see no difference so long as the tires are the same size and the same make and model..

I swap tires all the time. Even if all the tires are the same model and the same size, but 3 are new and 1 is worn, that's still ok. Heck, you can have a lower tire pressure on one tire that could have a smaller tire diameter, which could have the same effect as a worn tire, or worse in my opinion.

Keefe

Archived