LegacyGT.com

Fixed SSR Comp issues....

specinvstr

Need some input.

My brother had 3 SSR comps fixed. The lip on two of the rims were bent pretty significantly. The shop did not provide any advice, simply stated we can fix 'em. Well 2 months later, one lip formed a crack and the other bent back. No pot hole/curb or anything else was hit. Could this happen from cooking the rims too much? I just got off the phone with the shop and they said they only heat to 300 to fix and 420 with powdercoating. The rims he had fixed required powder coating. They said bends/cracks not covered and that the temps they use do not compromise the integrity of the rim. Any feedback would be appreciated. My brother would have bought some rotas if he new this would happen. :mad:

Thanks.

SSR's (Super Soft Rims) are semi solid forged. When you bend a forged rim, and bend it back you can develop a crack because you've introduced more internal stress into the material.

If you heat the rim too much to repair it, you can over-age it whereby it becomes very brittle (read about aluminum and overaging). That's why they usually don't recommend you powdercoat forged rims.

...at least that's what I've heard. I am NOT an expert.

So Keefe, you don't think the fixing of the rims was the source of the damage? Or, are you saying they used a lot more heat? Thanks.

Joon, I don't want to post the name of the shop. They did very nice work cosmetically speaking. I am just trying to figure out if they should have given my brother a heads up regarding the durability of their fix.

Archived