LegacyGT.com

My Engine Knocks Like Crazzeee!!!

I've got a '96 Legacy 2.5 LSi. I've tried using different brands of gas, from Arco to Shell, 76 too. No real difference, the engine still knocks a whole lot. It does it most when accelarating hard of course but also when I'm trying to take off slowly from intersections. The engine only has about 52k and the car is overall in great condition. The acceleration is gutless, but not much less than the '06 Legacy I had also. To be expected from an 11 y/o car.

Gas mileage stinks at ~21 MPG 75% highway driving too (AND I drive like a granny)!:confused:

Anyone have some advice or experiences to share? Thanks.

What octane are you using?

The '96 GT/LSi were the first years of the EJ25 engine, meaning that you must be running 89 octane at least. I tried regular in mine a couple times when I had one and it did what you are describing.

I didnt say that my check engine light isn't on constantly.

Oh well there ya go.

I always ran 89 in my '96 GT and I typically got 19 mpg city, 29 hwy.

Just FYI, my friend had a '96 L (so thats a 2.2L instead) and she would get 36 mpg hwy. Nice.

What octane are you using?

The '96 GT/LSi were the first years of the EJ25 engine, meaning that you must be running 89 octane at least. I tried regular in mine a couple times when I had one and it did what you are describing.

Still trying to build my Suby knowledge but the EJ25 is the N/A motor right? Probably the same motor I have? Didn't know they required 89 octane. I've been seeing 23-25 MPG so far.

Is 89 really worth the extra cost? Here I was, happy to be in a fuel efficient vehicle so I could save gas money! :lol:

89 octane isn't 89..there is no such grade...you have 87 and 93...in order to get to 89 or 91, they blend the two....but from what I understand from ppl who have owned gas stations, 89 is the worst blend...they take mostly 87 and add a tiny bit of 93 at the end....

Still trying to build my Suby knowledge but the EJ25 is the N/A motor right? Probably the same motor I have? Didn't know they required 89 octane. I've been seeing 23-25 MPG so far.

Is 89 really worth the extra cost? Here I was, happy to be in a fuel efficient vehicle so I could save gas money! :lol:

Not quite. The '96 was the first year of the EJ25 engine. It is the only year that a higher octane is reccomended. In '97 the engine had been refined to run on 87 octane. It also put out 10 more hp and better fuel economy.

Yeah, I guess it's a toss up. Pay extra for higher octane and maybe, just maybe get a little better MPG. So, I just fill it with 87.

Wow, someone actually got 27!!!!! That's great!

I wonder if there are some carbon deposits sitting atop my cylinders causing all that pinging? If so, is there any way to check and clean w/o open heart surgery?

Archived