LegacyGT.com

Lightened Crank Pulley...

Is a lightened crank pulley worth the money in terms of any performance gains? I see that Perrin has one, and it would fit the 2.5i; from the bit of reading I've done, and experience I've had w/ friend's Hondas, they are somewhat worth it. I would like to get everyone's comments, feedback, experiences, etc. Thanks in advance...

I think it would be worth it. It is very good place to take rotational mass off the engine. Considering the boxer engine is balanced on it's own and doesn't need a harmonic balancer, it's lighter than most engines it's size. But, going even lighter can't be bad. The great thing about the pulley from Perrin is that it isn't underdriven, so drivability should remain the same, with a little less drag for the engine as a whole. I'm probably going to do it as soon as I see what else is out there after the holiday season.

I'd like to hear more about the pulley's from others that have had them installed for a while. 1. Does it noticeably improve the throttle response? 2. Does it make it less "driveable" on take off because the clutch releaseis more sensitive? Theoretically the lighter pulley/less rotating mass is similar to a lightened flywheel. Of course we're not removing as much weight but I'm curious if it requires clutch control when coming from a stop.

Take it from an LGT 5MT driver with a ltwt crank pulley installed.....it's definately worth it! Seems to free up the revving a lot. Won't solve the "slow roll hesitation" problem except for the fact that it's harder to do. Meaning the engine more easily revs past the bog zone. As far as vibration, noise, etc.....nothing negative to report. From what I understand, you don't want to buy an "underdriven" pulley. I don't think the Perrin one is. Mine was installed by my local Subie dealer believe it or not. I don't recall the brand but it weighed 1.2 lbs. A simple, inexpensive way to get a quick thrill. Maybe no more "real" horsepower but it does seem to send a bit more through the drivetrain. Enjoy!

It's not an underdriven pulley from Perrin, so it should be fine, they managed to save weight in the process (that's the benefit factor). I do know that M3s with lighten pulley are definitely worth the mod.. so if you want it, go for it, no harm (other than your wallet). Keefe
Keefe

I think ima go ahead and get this after Christmas....I want to see if there are any new ones coming out for the new year...def. dont want an underdriven one, so i dont think ill have TOO many options..we'll see tho...i've decided that im gonna go ahead and get one in a month or so...of course, after i've driven around for a while, i'll let you know how it affects my performance...thnks for the feedback guys...

Seems like mfgs are heading back away from underdrive pulleys. It was stock size, then underdrive, now back to stock lightened units. Cobb is supposed to have a new unit out sometime in the next few months too. Never know, I might do one too and I always said I wouldn't upgrade the pulley. :p

I also bought an AP crank pulley... I hate waiting for eons for the engine to rev match my downshifts. Ill install it when it isnt so cold out. If anybody is looking for somthing thats not quite as light, cheaper, or if you feel that the revs fall too fast, try picking up a stock WRX pulley which is a few pounds lighter I think about 5 pounds compared to 9.

Archived