LegacyGT.com

New Consumer Reports UHP Allseason tires out.

jim1969

I unfortunately do not belong to that Forum, but that's very interesting indeed.

I haven't had any issues in terms of noise, but then again, I've always have aftermarket intakes/exhausts on my various vehicles, and that could've definitely hidden this issue (heck, even with my RS-2s, I barely notice them).

Treadwear is definitely a concern. I don't think that anyone who is honest about the 512s could ever spin that another way.

----

bluesuby - I agree, tires isn't something that you want to "cheap out" on. Heck, even in-the-dry/clear, good tires = good safety. :)

However, I also believe that there's both a point of diminishing return, as well as there exists a very "real world" (including emergency situations) performance envelope where a tire with excellent value-for-the-dollar (or performance-for-the-dollar, if you will) can, while not necessarily eclipse that of a higher-dollar tire with more absolute performance, be "good enough."

I'm not defending any particular tire (whether or not it was a part of their comparison). Rather, I just think that it is valid of such a consumer-advocate group to base their decisions on such a criteria. Whether or not I - or anyone else - will agree with their "perceived value/weighted" results, though, is definitely up for debate. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guide to the Ratings(open attachment for pic)

Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. Displayed scores are rounded; models are listed in order of precise overall score. Dry braking was from 60 mph, and wet braking was from 40 mph with the antilock brake system engaged. Dry handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; dry cornering grip on our skidpad; and subjective steering feel. Wet handling includes wet cornering on our wetted skidpad and subjective handling ratings from our wet-handling circuit. Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires began to skim on the surface. Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow. We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 mph with the ABS disengaged. Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer, is a factor in fuel economy. Noise and ride reflect our on-road judgments. Tread life is an indicator of wear potential from CR's 12,000-mile mixed driving test and is not part of the overall score. Price is retail we paid for the 225/40ZR18 size we tested. Overall scores and Ratings are relative to tire category.

1721536272_190FCDC66AF95433.jpg.f6364c61e8917cac0be45e7cbd7f684f.jpg

Archived