LegacyGT.com

Subaru Paint Imperfections

rodeo-clown

After owning my Liberty (AU version of the Legacy) for several weeks now, I've gotten to know it intimately through several washes, polishes and a wax. I've noticed that there are a few paint imperfections on the paint job. Although I haven't been able to take photos as yet, the paint defects seem to be either a small round pot hole, I guess a very small blob. The other type of imperfection I've noticed is hard to explain, but it is no more than 0.5cm and looks like a paint drip, or possibly a defect with the body that was painted over. I guess I'll have to try to take some pictures, that's the best way to explain what I'm seeing. Has anyone else experienced paint imperfections with their Legacy / Liberty, or are these problems expected with mass production?

I know the fast dry clear they use on most cars now looks like shit, Subaru is no exception, it is all orange peel...only way to get rid of it is to wet sand...but that doesn't sound like it is your only problem...i don't have anything like that, that i am aware of on my legacy...ware are these imperfections to asist us in finding similar ones and is it a wagon or sedan?

Orange peel does sound right to me. I've come across this word a few times on some car care forums. It seems that my Liberty does suffer from this. The problem areas are mostly the boot and the hood (I'll need to check out the roof again, but I'm sure that was OK). In fact, the boot only has two defects, the hood had up to 4 or so, from memory. It is a sedan.

Yup yup yup.... I posted back in June that I had a paint defect... There is less pigment in the paint under my headlamps then the rest of the car. The dealer took a note of it...and said if I have any issues they would take care of it......

[quote name='dv8ingvector']that is more then orange peel...that sounds more like fish eyes = defective paint to me, can you feel it? be carful not to damage or pick at it or they will say you did it when you go to get it fixed if that is the problem[/QUOTE] I'll let you know in a few days, I'm going to wash and detail the car this weekend and I'll try to gently feel for the spots. In my search for an answer, I did come across fish eyes and it does seem to match my problem. Is this something that the dealer or Subaru should know about? What is required to fix this?

[size=3]defiantly tell the dealer they need to fix it, if that is the case...telling SOA cant hurt ether...to fix them, the effected aria needs to prepped and repainted…not a real big deal; but metallic paint can be hard to blend if they don’t know what they are doing, what color is your car?[/size]

the car is Obsidian black. The car was dirty last night, and it took me forever to find a defect (it's much easier to see when it is clean). I ran my finger over it and you can JUST feel it. My only worry, like you said, if they do respray it, is how well it'll match up. I would hate for it to stand out like a sore thumb.

[quote name='dv8ingvector'][size=3]defiantly tell the dealer they need to fix it, if that is the case...telling SOA cant hurt ether...to fix them, the effected aria needs to prepped and repainted…not a real big deal; but metallic paint can be hard to blend if they don’t know what they are doing, what color is your car?[/size][/QUOTE] Telling SOA(Subaru of America) probably wont help someone who lives in Austrailia/New Zealand. Just a guess thoughLOL

Archived