LegacyGT.com

Just got an E-mail from Subaru

Nothing "fishy" about it -- its a change in policy, not a change in vehicles. Subaru may have noticed some statistical variation in warranty claims with turbo vehicles on longer intervals and changed their policy to reflect what they want to cover under warranty.

When I bought my car 2 days ago, they clearly stated the 3,750 interval but also offered an additional warranty covering all service until 60,000 miles (I think ... I didn't take it, so I'm not completely clear on the details). If you are worried about the cost of increased oil changes, you can still buy into that program even after you take delivery of the vehicle (I think). That way all service including oil changes are completely covered by the dealer - they said bring it in between 3,500-4,000 miles.

If you change your oil every 3,000 miles or so, there is no need for synthetic, right? Synthetic's main benefit is extended intervals, so keep it on dino juice until you are out of warranty and then move to whatever interval makes you happy.

The new BMW 335i's with twin turbo's don't need oil changes for 15,000 miles. They recomend Mobil 1.

all new BMW's require oil changes at 15k...why? because they are drowned in oil...I think mine has a 10 quart reservoir... (I dont change it because its part of my lease agreement)

i try and change my oil between 3000-3500 and i've been using regular dino oil. i plan on switching to semi synthetic my next change (3qts dino/2qts synth).

If I was using full synth i would more then likely stretch it out to 4-5k each change.

if you drive your car hard then changing at 3k is a good idea, if you do local stop and go traffic and real short trips you can go a little further. my mother drives her g35 about 10 miles a day to and from work, the dealer told her to only change it every 6k or 6 months. if the oill doesnt get hot enough the molecules dont start breaking down as quickly so less of a need to change it so frequently.

I haven't changed mine since I got the car, 34k mi, I just keep adding it as I need it. Let the natural process of burn off, fill, burn off, fill take place. In 2-3mos I have new oil in the car.

is this a serious post or are u being sarcastic?

I haven't changed mine since I got the car, 34k mi, I just keep adding it as I need it. Let the natural process of burn off, fill, burn off, fill take place. In 2-3mos I have new oil in the car.

That method works great if your car goes through a quart a week like some cars my friends have had.

Personally I change mine every 4 months/5k miles approximately. Good enough IMHO.

my old neighbor drove a taxi, an 85 Caprice Classic if I remember correctly...he moved to FL when the car had 200,000 + on her... (this was years ago)....and for the record he NEVER changed the oil and he was on original engine and tranny and it didn't put out a puff of gray or blue smoke...

people can say what they want about constant oil changes but my father got a brand new dodge dynasty back in the day and being in sales he put lots of miles on it. Always ran good ole name brand dynosoar oil no synthetics, changed every 5000 miles never more never less and drove it for 275,000 miles.

by the time he was nearing his end of his run with it he was a sales manager (high tech sales) and those working under him were mostly driving around in benz and BMWs (just trying to signify that he wasnt cheaping out cause he couldnt afford a new car or more oil changes, just didnt see the need.

The car didnt die it was dead reliable and probably could have gone to 375,000 he donated it to the salvation army. when he went to drop it off the persons jaw dropped when he said heres the keys runs great add a little oil here and there and drive it regularly and its ready to go. They said like 99% of cars donated come in on a trailer and look like they were in a monster truck ralley. Was really a great car it said dynasty at the back behind the rear door parallell to the rear window and one side the raised lettering the dy had fallen off the other side the dyn had fallen off so we so fondly came to call it the "nasty asty"

I ran my 99 LHS same oil same interval for 120,000 miles till i totaled it a month or so ago and thats why im now in the market for an 05 LGT ltd with a stick. Also have a 98 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2l V8 (318ci) and its got 112,000 hard miles on it with the same oil routine no engine issues related to that. Just recently replaced the spark plug wires and plugs because there was an intermittent spark issue now all cleared up.

Archived