LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Remote Start/Alarm for 08 LGT?

Drinyth

I'm looking to put in an after market remote starter (and possibly alarm, see below) into my new 08 LGT. Can anyone answer the following questions:

• Will the existing anti-theft security system will work with an after market remote starter unit?
  • Has anyone already done this before in a 2008? And do you have any recommandations or feedback to what unit to buy?
  • There are any other general caveats with putting an after market system into an 08? Is there anything special that the installer would need to know?

I'm more interested in the 2-way remote start than I am the alarm features. But if it disables the existing security that comes with the car (even if it is just an engine immobilization), I'll probably opt for the alarm too. Thoughts?

• 1 year later...

I'm doing a DIY thread now...

1 - make sure they use the databus modules to interface the car - cuts down the wires they have to work with and is safer in the long run. (bypasskit.com)

2 - If done right, it will work WITH the factory system, not against it

3 - I think you'll have a hard time getting a 2-way unit that isn't also an alarm. I just purchased the Viper 5901 - had the previous generation 1mile range 2-way from them and love it (its on the van/our old car my sis has now) but the battery life sucked (1 month = 1AAA battery). The new ones are usb mini plug rechargable and supposedly get 6 months - we'll see!

C

Archived