LegacyGT.com

How much is too much caster?

rmcferon

I have iON springs mated with the Koni struts, whiteline f/r sway bars, and the whiteline roll center kit. The caster from my alignment sheet says Right 5.8 Left 6.0.

I know that I should replace the LCA bushings for durablity, but should I go with the standard, or the offset?

This is a DD with some HPDE track time for good measure.

I read a lot of the LCA threads, but not a lot of first hand experience was mentioned.

go for offset. i have 7.0 on both sides and steering response and braking stability is great.

do a few slaloms, you'll start to notice that the car doesnt respond as quickly as you want it to. Normally you start your turn-in input well before you approach your next cone (in my case, I'm already turning the wheel in the opposite direction just as my front tires cross past the previous cone in a 60' and 75' spaced slalom. I'm basically turning well more than 0.5 seconds before I get to my target cone).

You'll start to notice once you start the lateral transition process, you'll start to notice that you end up building speed and momentum, making it even harder to change directions at every cone you pass. It gets worse and worse once you do 3 or more cones as well.

Keefe

To ask the question a different way...

For daily driving, what is a reasonable max for caster before the trade-offs go too negative. 7.0 deg? 6.875465 deg? :lol:

I think I read in another thread that the offset LCA bushings add 1.2 to 1.5 deg of caster and regular stiffer LCA bushings add around .5 deg.

So if I know my current caster settings I should be able to decide on regular or increased offset, ya? Assuming we can figure out what the practical max should be, of course. ;)

Thx,

Pete

Hey, thanks for all of the great input. This helped me decide to buy the Superpro Standard bushing set. That should give a little better feel from the stiffer material and prevent the early breakdown that many have reported after installing lowering springs with the stock bushings.

To ask the question a different way...

For daily driving, what is a reasonable max for caster before the trade-offs go too negative. 7.0 deg? 6.875465 deg? :lol:

I think I read in another thread that the offset LCA bushings add 1.2 to 1.5 deg of caster and regular stiffer LCA bushings add around .5 deg.

So if I know my current caster settings I should be able to decide on regular or increased offset, ya? Assuming we can figure out what the practical max should be, of course. ;)

Thx,

Pete

let's put it this way, the more positive caster you add, the less the wheel will want to naturally unwind itself after a turn.

Keefe

I may have a poor memory but it's not completely shot...:lol:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44834&page=6&highlight=fulcrum

See post #80 The statement is fulcrums add+.5 deg (std) and +1 deg (offset) over the factory bushings. And post #126, Perrin (offset) adds 1.5 deg.

No one called BS on those posts so what's the scoop? :confused:

Archived