LegacyGT.com

Realistic purchase

GTWagondad

Hey forum,

Realism and need have made me start looking for a cheaper commuter. While I love the 05-07 legacy GT safety ratings, my wife won't go for another premium-driven, low-profile-tire turbo. Shucks. Plus, most of what I've seen is north of $17k and rare.

So, what are your suggestions/cautions regarding previous gen legacies? I know the crash ratings aren't as good, but it seems the older GT's run on regular. I'm looking at a 2002 gt limited now on craigslist. What should I watch out for? Are there any issues of concerns? Do you like the previous gen? Are there particular models/years that are more bulletproof than others?

Any advice would be welcome!

It's funny, I sold my LGT sedan so I could buy a LGT wagon for my new son. It's really not that much more expensive to run super in a car. I don't know if you own the wagon outright, but I can tell you that makes a HUGE difference on what you think you can afford. As for your question, head gaskets are the only thing to really look out for, but they're all EJ25 bulletproof motors, so if you're nice to it, it'll be nice to you for a long, long time.

Archived