LegacyGT.com

TireRack/Goodyear did the right thing!

MDW25gt

Ok heres the story. I purchased 4 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx in April. Had them mounted balanced and the car alined. I drove them for 6500 miles and rotated them at 5000 miles. I had purchased them with the thought that they would perform better than the BFG Traction T/A's. I was happy with the 50k mile I got out of the BFG. The preformance was good but I wanted to improve. According to the ratings at the TireRack The Sport Maxx should have been better in most all aspects accepts for snow, because the Sport Maxx is a summer tire.

The impression I got was that the Sport Maxx was the worst tire I had ever put on the car. Change lanes on the highway and there was no confidance. Also no confidance in tight corners I pushed the tire to loss of traction with little effort. I was afraid I was going to put the car in the ditch!

So I called the TireRack and expressed my disappointment. At 1st they said they would give me 15% discount on another set. NOT !! Pushed them a little harder and they presented 20% discount on another set OR I could measure the tread depth (which measured 8/32 on all 4) give them the miles I put the tires on, miles at rotation and current miles. Then the TireRack went to Goodyear (owns Dunlop) and gave them the information.

A day later I received a call from a GOODYEAR customer service person informing me that they had contacted a Goodyear dealer in town. They told me to call them and set an appointment to have tires looked at.

I went to the dealer and the guy checked the tires and said he would call Goodyear and see if they would take the tires back. The dealer suggested that I purchase a set of their Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge for the $19 per tire difference between the Dunlops and the the Eagles. I ask how long it would take and what the total was? In 45 minutes and $78 later I was on the road.

The difference is night and day! I am a happy Leg GT driver again. I would recommend that anyone looking at tires check out the GoodYear Eagle ResponsEdge.

so they gave you new tires to replace the ones you had put 6500 miles on for $78 wow now there's a deal. why did it take so long to know you didn't like them? bosco

It didnt really take that long. In the 6500 miles I had them I replaced a broken header, the center diff and two front wheel bearings. Sometimes things need to be prioritized!

They are probably trying to keep you as a customer since they hope to see you many more times. At that rate of wear you'll be buying new tires every 20,000 miles.

The Sport Maxx tires started with 10/32. at the rate of 6500 every 2/32. My math says 32500 miles. Maybe 28000.

The Sport Maxx had a tread UTOG of 220. The Eagles have UTOG of 440. I expected a significant loss of tread life at the UTOG of 220. I did not expect to give up the preformance!

I suspect that next time you will try Goodyears again.

Nice customer service. Send "Well done" note to your customer service contact.

Krzys

GoodYears again is a good possibility. I will determine that over the long run.

Archived