LegacyGT.com

road noise due to tires or other suspension components?

rayeve

Hi,

I'm trying to make the cabin in my 2005 Legacy GT quieter for a number of reasons. My wife owns a 2005 legacy that is NOT the GT (i.e., her's is normally aspirated) and it's MUCH quieter than my turbo version of essentially the same car. :confused: But I've noticed that the sidewall height on my GT is about half that of the tires on her car -- so it seems likely that some of the noise I have is due to this. Does anyone know if the extra noise can also be traced to other(!) differences between the two cars? I.e., perhaps the GT uses stiffer suspension bushings and/or shocks, etc.? If I have to rebuild the suspension to equal her car's quietness, it's obviously not worth it. But if just changing the wheels and tires will do it, that is probably workable. I should mention that my car is pretty quiet as low speed. It's at about 60mph and above and on "grainy" or "wavy (side to side - like a sine wave in the surface, not vertical elevation change)" pavement that the noise begins to make it hard to really enjoy the audio system. Also, anyone had any experience with using Dynamat to try to quiet the cabin in a GT wagon? I notice some people on the board report some success with reducing noise using Dynamat, but it's not clear to me how MUCH difference it made? I.e., is the car really quiet (Lexus, Solara, Azera territory?), or only a bit quieter than before the Dynamat install? Any advice re how to really quiet this cabin down is greatly appreciated!

Ray

Archived