LegacyGT.com

Why is there not a standard for bolt patterns?

str8dwn

:soap_box:

Just in a quick search, I found such a wide variety of 5-lug bolt patterns. 5x98, 5x100, 5x108, 5x110, 5x112, 5x114.3, 5x120 and so on.

Can someone explain why car manufacturers can't settle on maybe 3 sizes at most? Like 2mm really makes a difference?

This way, wheel manufaturers can make more offsets within a given bolt pattern, since they wouldn't have to stock so many different patterns.

Also, is there a way to safely change the 5x100 to a 5x114.3 or other more prevalent bolt pattern? The wheel choices for our pattern sucks honestly.

What wheel type(s) in particular are you looking for? I've never had a problem finding wheels I liked in the 5x100 bolt pattern...

-Mike-

I've never neen a fan of any of the Konig, Gram Lights, Enkei and others that I've seen on the board. I personally like the Momo GTRs/WRS and Antera 349/363/369 and the AC Schnitzer Type IV. Like the others do it for you guys, these definitely do it for me. Different strokes for diff folks.

The problem is that with so many hub patterns the wheel manuf have to stock, they can only produce a certain # of offsets (the most pop ones obviously). And since high offset 5x100 is not popular, we get limited offerings.

Longitude: How hard is it to change hubs? Estimated cost? I mean, if I am going to get the wheels I want, and it's reasonable, why wouldn't I switch them out?

Maybe so, but the wheels protrude from the fenders. Antera says a +35 will fit our cars, but I've seen photos on here to the contrary.

They fit on the STi fine, and it doesn't require super crazy fender work. Check out 6gun Racing's STi...

Either way...it wouldn't be worth it do to the conversion...the parts involved would total up to be not worth it. There is a bearing upgrade for 5x100 what uses the new bearing with the same 5x100 knuckle that would probably be worth it..

Longitude: How hard is it to change hubs? Estimated cost? I mean, if I am going to get the wheels I want, and it's reasonable, why wouldn't I switch them out?

It's not easy or cheap. It'd probably cost as much as having a set of wheels you like custom made in the size you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived