LegacyGT.com

To those with Short Shift Levers...

mikebike357

got my Kartboy short shift lever and dammit I can't get the stocker out!!!!! How'd you folks do it? I tried the "turn it around and press on it till it pops out" method and it didn't work.

I installed one in my Forester a while ago and it wasn't nearly as tough to get out as the one on the Outback.

Help!

Thanks!

you have to take the C clip out. After you do that it will just pop right out. you have to have that little tool that does it if not it will be a PITA. it just looks like a letter C with two holes in each of the ends. Get that out and the lever will come right out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Warwick_5S/STS9.jpg

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Where'd you get the tool? My issue is getting the ball to pop out of the old lever using the Kartboy (and Perrin, and Cobb) method of just spinning the lever around so the bend is toward the dash and leaning into it to pop it out.

C Clip removal is too easy... if you have the tool.

mine was a pita to get out even after the c clip was out too. i didnt twist or anything just pulled straight up until it gave way. btw i bout put my hand through the roof of the car when i did get it out. smashed the bajesus out of roof but it was A ok.

Got the snap ring pliers from a buddy... got the snap ring off and the installation was a snap. Quick test drive around the block... sweetness.

Thanks everyone.... i'm typically not this noobish but I couldn't find any details on the short shift install. I searched too...

the top rubber ring kept getting caught in the snap ring channel on the way back in. I just massaged it a bit and after about 3 tries got it to seat properly. Then I got the ring pretty much in place and just used a flat head screwdriver to push it down all around to snap in.

Piece of cake. :)

Archived