LegacyGT.com

CO Licensing/Testing/Emissions (blah blah blah)

Brady

Ok, since it's official that I'm moving, I'm curious what you folks can tell me about this. It's been years since we had emissions testing in Minnesota, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the process anymore.

Currently, my car is stock, but I usually have an AP Stage 1.

What is the procedure when I go in? I assume they are just doing an OBDII check and I'll be fine if the AP is still loaded at that time? Or do they sniff? Either way, I'm fine with the AP installed, right?

And what about License plates - I know you have one on front, but is it enforced in CO? I've never been hassled for not having one up front here.

Finally, anyone selling stock rims?

(and I'm spent)

I just moved from AZ so I can tell. To register your car in CO, you need to get VIN verification, but don't worry about it. You can call Deputy at Motor Vehicle Office and they will come in 10 min to do that. Since your car is less than 4 year old, you don't need to get emission test. In Arapahoe and Douglas County, MVDs don't accept credit card, only cash or check.

I was worry even if I'm at Sg. 1. I think I made it clear for you.

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

Ya definitely no worries about that, as long as you have cats on your exhaust you'll be fine no sweat if you had to take an emissions test. Depending on the CEL code your car would still pass emissions if you had your cats on. When I had my accord I past with my check engine light on, they told me what the code that was scanned and said my car passed and I may want to get the sensor replaced.

Since your car is less than 4 year old, you don't need to get emission test.

Are you sure about this? AFAIK this only applies if you purchase the vechicle new in CO. It may be something new but 6 years ago when I moved to CO I had a 1 year old Celica and I had to do the emission test. To save the trouble of calling the deputy you can also get the VIN verification at the Clean Air Colorado where you will need to get your emission done. BTW, all these only applies if you are registering the car in the Denver metro area, ie Denver, Jefferson, Douglas, etc counties. There are no emission tests in some counties and I know COS has slightly different rules. As long as you have cats you should be fine. In fact I have heard people passing without cats with a proper tune, if the technician is not overly anal.

Simple solution (albeit slightly risky): Keep your MN registration. If you have your parents address, use it for registration, plates, license and save your hard earned money.

Moving from Ohio, my insurance would double, registration per year goes from $65 to $500. Rip!

Question though, guys: Do you have to have a CO license to buy a house here?

Here's a link to the CO DMV: http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MV_dir/wrap.asp?incl=titlereg

Emissions test depends on which county you'll reside in. If you're moving to Denver then yes, you'll need an emissions test (if you live in Co. Springs like me, you don't :) ). Not sure how mods will affect it, though.

The license plate is a little different: according to a recent argument I got in with my Denver cop friend (I would have won, too - but she's got a gun, you know?), it isn't illegal to drive without a front plate, but it is considered probable cause to pull you over (just like a cracked windshield or broken tailight). So go without at your own risk (I do).

On the upside, Colorado has over 100 styles of vanity plates!! :spin:

Are you sure about this? AFAIK this only applies if you purchase the vechicle new in CO. It may be something new but 6 years ago when I moved to CO I had a 1 year old Celica and I had to do the emission test. To save the trouble of calling the deputy you can also get the VIN verification at the Clean Air Colorado where you will need to get your emission done. BTW, all these only applies if you are registering the car in the Denver metro area, ie Denver, Jefferson, Douglas, etc counties. There are no emission tests in some counties and I know COS has slightly different rules. As long as you have cats you should be fine. In fact I have heard people passing without cats with a proper tune, if the technician is not overly anal.

Yes, even insurance agent knew incorrectly. He said I have to get emission test but I don't need to. Clean Air Colorado website says they charge 12 bucks but it was free in Mortor Vehicle with the Deputy.

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

Your first year of registration will probably be $400-$500. Then it goes down every year, once you hit the 8 year old mark, $25!

Don't worry about emissions.....as long as you have a cat for the visual part of the inspection, you will be fine. My highly modified DSM passes every year!

Ermm ... ok ... so HOW much is annual registration going to cost?!

The DMV purposely makes calculating registration and license fees so arcane that the human brain will explode if it contemplates the problem for too long. :mad: They say it is based on vehicle weight, its year, taxable value, the county you're in, the day of the month... the phase of the moon, the flip of a coin - well, you get the idea.

Just for reference: in 2004, my brand new Mazda3 cost me around $380; this year it was just over $165 (with $23 going towards license fees). I'm hoping the '05 LGT wagon I'm importing from back east won't be much more than that - but who knows?

Congrats on relocating to Colorado! I didn't think I'd like it when I moved here six years ago, but now I can't imagine living anywhere else! :)

Speaking of vanity plates.. I have never like them. But I am getting one next week. Not personalized. I think my 4yo will like it and cops might be a little more sensitive if I ever need a little compassion while on the road. Mainly though the plates will be consistent with the theme of just being a little different.

I'm serious about this... slightly rainbow but I'm thinking a real nice sleeper effect. I think it will only add to the confusion about the de-badged LGT. My last two comments were people guessing it was a Hyundai (what the hell??) and an Audi (I can handle that at least.) This oughta keep 'em on their toes...

Anyhow... I just bought mine 2 months ago, and prior to doing the UP/DP I got an emissions test. I wasn't sure whether I would need one or not but for the $20-something I figure it's good to have a nice clean emissions test just in case. It was probably a waste of time and money though. Okay here's the plates... and the back of the car.

http://www.blacktie-colorado.com/online_sales/images/ckf_plate_big.jpg

http://www.beeez.com/hostedpics/spring2.jpg

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

5Zigen Heidfeld Mesh, 18"... I think they run around $210 apiece. They were on the car when I bought it. I am heading out this afternoon to start shopping for 17" snow wheels and tires...

Any thoughts on the license plate? I could still be talked out of it... It's a brand new design.

My '05 LGT

Actually, go with the plate, even if just the standard letters.

I heard about the 100+ CO plates too, so I went looking. In most cases you either need to be in Government, a veteran/retired from armed forces, or an Alumnus.

The kids one is kind of cool. I MIGHT do that myself once I move.

I say no. Your car looks pretty clean w/ the tint man (looks tinted by that pic anywho). The blue in the Subaru badge and the green in the "normal" CO plates aren't TOO colorful. The bold purple in the plates will take away from your smooth looking ride.

And the wheels say "I'm edgy and dangerous," (as does the black car w/ tint) while the plates say, "I'm such a nice, caring guy." If you're going for irony, plate on! I just don't like it. Maybe if you had a wagon...

I just moved from AZ so I can tell. To register your car in CO, you need to get VIN verification, but don't worry about it. You can call Deputy at Motor Vehicle Office and they will come in 10 min to do that. Since your car is less than 4 year old, you don't need to get emission test. In Arapahoe and Douglas County, MVDs don't accept credit card, only cash or check.

I was worry even if I'm at Sg. 1. I think I made it clear for you.

all of this is true

(no emmissions, no credit cards)

in Elbert county for sure and probably most other rural counties

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

The DMV purposely makes calculating registration and license fees so arcane that the human brain will explode if it contemplates the problem for too long. :mad: They say it is based on vehicle weight, its year, taxable value, the county you're in, the day of the month... the phase of the moon, the flip of a coin - well, you get the idea.

Just for reference: in 2004, my brand new Mazda3 cost me around $380; this year it was just over $165 (with $23 going towards license fees). I'm hoping the '05 LGT wagon I'm importing from back east won't be much more than that - but who knows?

Congrats on relocating to Colorado! I didn't think I'd like it when I moved here six years ago, but now I can't imagine living anywhere else! :)

Actually its not all that difficult. It is based off of the original purchase price of the car. The first year it is x percent, the next year y percent, etc. I found the table on the internet once and was able to figure out how much I would be out of pocket to within a dollar or two...same thing with tax, I just bought an old wrangler and calculated the tax with info from the good ole interweb.

Here is Douglas county's tax table for reference.

----------------------------------------------------

Specific ownership taxes are based on the year of manufacturer of the vehicle and the original taxable value, which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle. Taxable value for passenger vehicles is 85 percent of the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price); for trucks the taxable value is 75 percent of the MSRP.

Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. The tax is assessed for the time period, which an individual owns the vehicle. Vehicles do not need to be driven in order to be assessed this tax.

For an approximate figure of the ownership taxes for twelve months you may use the following schedule:

YEAR OF SERVICE

RATE OF TAX

First Year

2.10% of taxable value

Second Year

1.50% of taxable value

Third Year

1.2% of taxable value

Fourth Year

.9% of taxable value

5-9 Years

.45% of taxable value or $10.00 whichever is greater

10 + year

$3.00

I bought my car in June. Paid $17.9K. Temp tags cost me $1,425 then to get the real plates earlier this week cost me $310. So $1,735 total for damn plates! Nearly 10% of the purchase price - ouch.

I got an emissions test prior to UP/DP and the lady at the DMV said it wasn't necessary this time but she took it anyways... not sure if that will delay the need for future emissions tests or not.

And finally, I went with the good 'ol green/white stamped plates. The classics are still the best and aren't just printed like the designer plates. I didn't want to have a plate that in any way was political, etc.

My '05 LGT

Archived