LegacyGT.com

WTB: Crystal Ball and the 07 Spec B

GTWagondad

So, I need advice, and y'all (yes, I used y'all) seem knowledgeable. I'm stoked to have my war wagon, 'cause of the fastfast it goes WITH a 5 star crash rating/IIHS best pick rating. Now, the red girl needs a younger brother: an 07 Spec b. Me likes the subtle styling (though I'll switch out the wheels), and the blue interior. I've driven two, and they both kicked @$$ on on/off ramps, Fairfield county's idea of the twisties. Here's my questions.

1) Subaru isn't very hopeful about them. Lease residuals are ridiculous; there on par with the STI. I always viewed the B as aimed at the 30-39 demo; what is SOA thinking?

2) If SOA is right that all the used ones will be thrashed, do I bite the bullet and pony up for a new one? At 32k and change, for a longer term, we're talking upwards of $5k in finance charges and a $500 payment for 6 years-- not a easy sell to a (thankfully) fiscally responsible wife. I'm crossing my fingers that Bernake will help us all on Friday, but I'm not standing in a corner turning blue waiting for that.

3) If I go used, how long to wait? I was dubious about one I saw for 5 days in July on craigslist for $25k; something was fishy there. I had a wonderful negotiation with KCCobra about his; but I'd need something closer to NE to make it more feasible (my fault, not his). Would you trust a used B? I felt that KCCobra's was definitely a gem.

4) There are just over 30 new ones left nationwide (I checked with a call to Holmdel, NJ). Do you think the dealers will panic and dump them eventually, or hold on to high prices? In Feb. 07, one of the last 06 untitled B's went for 26 or so; I'd pay that next Feb.

5) Anyone within 500 miles have one they want to move? I have an ol' reliable for trade, but its just a nice commuter/station/college car (88 Camry).

Random thoughts; I'd appreciate feedback. For now, I'm off to by a lottery ticket.

Subaru Residuals are always low. Why? Because Subaru is realistic. Honda and Toyota command high residuals, the Fords/Chryslers/GMs tend to subsidize their cars with residuals. They play numbers games that Subaru fortunately does not play. The down side is that leasing is never a good value with a Subaru (though I generally feel leasing a vehicle is just never a good value - ever).

I guess I'm still unclear what you're really trying to accomplish, so that's all I have to offer for now.

Good Luck. :)

08's you can get the same color as the 07s or Quartz Silver which looks like either a dark silver or a lighter gray with black interior (no swap needed if you wanted black). I know the dealer I got my car from still has a 07 spec B in inventory, but it has been used as a demo (only know of the sales manager and now the finance manager drove it not a service loaner).

I would hold on until at least SEMA happens to see if any of the Legacy STi, Outback STi, or any non Impreza STi rumors actually come true. There are also rumors of a mid year hp increase. I wouldn't be confident that either is a definate, but you also don't want to pick up a 08 to find out for maybe a couple more thousand you could have had an even better LGT.

Archived