LegacyGT.com

need help on coil over install.

ripsweetness

I finally got my 08 gt that I ordered 2 months ago. I have some coil overs that I need to install but I have no experience on putting these on. I am stationed at McGuire AFB and have access to a lift for a easy install. Just looking for somebody local to keep me from killing myself when I attempt to do this for the first time:lol:.

Incase you dont know where Im located it is about 45 min north of Philly.

Any takers?

Hmmm... How would we know if we're doing it right:lol::lol:. I have done some research and it looks pretty straight forward. I think Im going to takle it this week. Youre more than welcome to join me for morale support if you want. Plus you will be a pro when its your turn. How close to mcguire/fortdix are you?

I'm right by Princeton so without looking at a map or anything, I'd say about 30-40 minutes or so. I've looked at a few walkthrough guides here and there and it looks alright. Just the rear looks like it could be a pain though since you have to... do something with it. Lemme know when you're gonna do it. I'll see what I can find and hey, it's always easier with two sets of hands.

PM'd.

;)

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Thanks guys I tackled this project after some great info from sublo. It was really easy. All you need is a jack/stand 19 mm socket 19mm wrench 12mm socket 14mm socket and maybe some liquid courage:lol::lol:. Real easy though, just a pita getting ride height adjusted.

I'm right by Princeton so without looking at a map or anything, I'd say about 30-40 minutes or so. I've looked at a few walkthrough guides here and there and it looks alright. Just the rear looks like it could be a pain though since you have to... do something with it. Lemme know when you're gonna do it. I'll see what I can find and hey, it's always easier with two sets of hands.

I already did my instal but would be willing to help you with yours if you need it

it's quite of a bit of a hike for me, but I've probably done about close to 20 shocks/springs/coilover installs on the GT alone.. It's really not hard at all. There's a total of:

Front:

1 10mm bolt that holds the ABS/speed sensor line in place

1 10mm bolt that holds the brake line in place

1 19mm camber bolt for the upper strut flange hole

1 19mm strut bolt for the lower strut flange hole

3 12mm top hat bolts

(take them off in that order from the of the list to the bottom of the list)

Rear:

1 19mm strut bolt

2 12mm top hat bolts

(take them off in that order from top of the list to the bottom of the list)

Make sure both ends of the axles are off the ground. If one side is jacked up and off the ground while the other side is on the ground, you'll have a hard time getting the shocks out and back in because the sway bar is preventing the control arms and lateral links to droop down low enough to where you can put the strut bolts back into the coilovers.

Make sure you are loosening or torquing from the nut side, not the bolt head side. Eventhough it's a new car, spray all the bolts and nuts with WD40.

For the rear strut bolt, that nut is a locking nut and you will need some hefty amount of torque to break that nut loose. Somewhere in the 300 lbs range will do it. Or do what I do and get a 48" long 2" dia. pipe as your "extension to the 1" drive ratchet to break the nut loose. It will be easy for you since you have a lift. I managed to do this all on the ground with just jackstands.

If a person that is experienced in suspension work, it should take one 1 person about 2.5 hours to take out the old and put in the new (assuming the coilovers are all pre-adjusted prior to installation, which includes preload and a rough estimate of ride height). Normally, it should take an experienced person about 4 hours to do.

I've done a full coilover install with 4 experienced people in 35 minutes, which included alignment and adjusting the coilovers to a very good estimate for autocross use.

If anything, you should read the manual about adjusting the coilovers to the correct specs and range. Most people screw up here and just slap the coilovers on the car and just drive off without checking if the preload is set to zero to say the least or checking to see if their ride height is too low for the specs of the coilovers which could void the warranty.

Keefe

Great write-up! :cool: Although, I prefer liberal use of anti-seize over WD-40.

2 cents...

http://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/drunk.gif

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Thanks guys I tackled this project after some great info from sublo. It was really easy. All you need is a jack/stand 19 mm socket 19mm wrench 12mm socket 14mm socket and maybe some liquid courage:lol::lol:. Real easy though, just a pita getting ride height adjusted.

When I did my JICs back in the day, I found that it was best when I had all four coilovers lined up in a row and used a tape measure, and measured them all evenly and then slapped them on the car, if I wanted to adjust from there, I'd count coil turns

Great write-up! :cool: Although, I prefer liberal use of anti-seize over WD-40.

2 cents...

http://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/drunk.gif

WD40 is a fairly good cleaning agent for any rust that maybe there..

i normally use PB Blaster instead on older cars.

Keefe

When I did my JICs back in the day, I found that it was best when I had all four coilovers lined up in a row and used a tape measure, and measured them all evenly and then slapped them on the car, if I wanted to adjust from there, I'd count coil turns

well, you should compare to the stock strut, not to each other.. if you did that with a GDA chassis WRX, you would see that rear shocks are like 4" longer than the fronts..

Keefe

Archived