LegacyGT.com

Manual or Automanual?

IB6UB9

I was being sarcastic :lol:

:lol:

That one backfired on you a bit, fishbone.

It's true though, there are a lot of people on the forum that love their autos. Look up the thread 5eat Pride (although whenever that thread gets bumped I do picture rainbows).:lol:

Nah, it just brought the elitists out of the woodwork ;)

I have a quick story for you Fishbone.

I was at work many many months ago poking around on the internet. It was even before I had really become an active member here. I came across a thread in the Nissan SE-R forums about the Legacy vs. SE-R. I read the whole thing. It was entertaining. Now, whenever I see your posts here, I feel like I sorta know you.

I bought an automatic because it was a great deal. All I can think about right now is swapping it all out for a manual or just trading it in soon for a SpecB. Point being....get a manual. There is no positive argument for an automatic other than A) it was a great deal and you saved thousands of dollars that you didn't have in the first place and B) you are above the age of 70.

Hope that helps.

*Edited to give a better answer*

I'm tired of the slow acceleration, and I would like to have a fast car to maybe street race once in a while, or take to the track when I feel like I've got enough power.

My auto hauls. It is barely slower than a manual...especially once you get the autoshifting down to a T.

I would like to go to stage 2, but I guess my question is...

How easy is it to mod the 5EAT to stage 2, and can it accelerate as quickly as the 5MT? I assume the quickest way to accelerate with the 5EAT would be in sportshift mode. I'm just afraid if I get the 5MT, I will regret it when I get in difficult driving conditions, or will be constantly downshifting or burning up the short life clutch.

The 5EAT seems more practical, but how much power and acceleration and easy mod potential would I be losing compared to the 5MT? My friend in Atlanta has an '06 STI manual, and loves it, but he's always driven a manual...so I figure it may take me a long time to feel lik it's second nature.

They both mod just as easy. Power difference you probably won't even notice. I feel like I am well suited to answer your questions driving an Auto myself but I can't attest to the actual power difference between auto and manual at stage 2 seeing as I'm not at stage 2 yet. But that's all irrelevant because believe me...you'd much rather burn through a couple of clutches than destroying your tranny...check this thread out to see what I'm talking about: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102132

And your friend loves his manual for a reason ;)

I have to chime in here....

Anyone who has bought the 5EAT full wells knows the possibility of it exploding. I bout my 5EAT b/c I do 95% city driving. I am in between stg1 and stg 2 right now. No issues with the 5EAT. I have the valve body modified. I am in the process of buying parts for stg2 along with the 4452 cooler. I am by no means saying that this 5EAT sucks, but it can handle the stg2 properly if driven properly. Look at m spank for example. Almost the exact same set up I am getting(IPT valve body, tranny cooler etc), his 08 has been stg2 for 20k now and has not had issues. There are people on here who have had the 5eat at stg2+ for more than 40k with no issues, and beat on it way more than I ever will.

I am not saying that the 5EAT is a great auto, and I am not saying that it is a shitty one either, but with proper modifications to it(i.e. cooler and valve body, with 20k changes), the 5EAT can handle stg2 power for the life of the car. Am I worried of something bad happening? YES. But I have read and PM'd ppl on here who have had it stg2 for 10k +(i.e. m spank, fishbone, etc) without issues and it is still going strong, which leads me to believe the auto can handle it. This has given me confidence and all these horror stories will not detur my stg2 plans.

Besides, what about the 5EAT ones that have detonated as stock or stg1? I am currently stg 1, for 16k(life of the car) and have had not one single issue. I believe the 5EAT problems stem from quality assurance issues, not durability.

Having driven both stock and stage two, and owning a 5EAT at stage 0 and 2, I'm sad to say the M/T is significantly quicker and more fun to drive. Stock for stock the M/T is right around a second faster to 60.

:)

Saying my stock 5sp car pulls as hard as your stage 2 auto did.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

IB6UB9, at this point, if your looking for an auto LGT, it will most likely have to be used and in that case i agree with Hope (AKLGT) on page 1. you don't know know what you would be getting with the auto and how hard the previous owner drove it. the 2010 GT's only come in the MT.

I just got an auto last month but I have bad knees, if one is bothering me it is 90% chance that it is my left one and the last thing i want to do is deal with a clutch pedal. I expect that i'll be shifting it manually most of the time but i'll be doing it because i see the hill coming up and can be in the gear i should be. i can be a manual when i want and auto when i don't.

ask all your friends with manual's and see if you can drive it for a few hours or all day and see how comfortable you feel. the manual may be more fun but they don't always necessarily shift faster (i'll probably get bashed for saying that but it is true) than autos. there is an article about this debate in the current issue of road and track and the auto was faster through their autocross course and over multiple laps that gap would increase.

you suggest wanting to take the car to the track, you may want to see how much track days cost in your area, my gf just did one at Watkins Glen and it was like $400, don't know if you can afford that several times a year. Also, depends how far a track is from you and if you need a hotel and other travel expenses.

as for the AT exploding, ANY transmission can explode, one guy at the track day killed his manual cause he missed a downshift (5th to 2nd instead of 4th). I also did a 5th to 2nd in my gf's WRX while learning to drive stick, i was doing 60mph and it was fine but it is still the fact that it can happen.

I'm happy with my auto, but it took a lot of money to get there (turbo swap, IPT built tranny ect).

Beyond stage two either transmission has the chance of grenading if driven hard. and at the drag strip I will have the advantage over someone in a manual every time.

Since I've spent way too much money on this car to turn back I'll be driving this car for the next several years, but when it's time for another Subaru I'll be buying a manual. Why??? Because it's a Hell of a lot more fun to shift the car on your own.

I have a quick story for you Fishbone.

I was at work many many months ago poking around on the internet. It was even before I had really become an active member here. I came across a thread in the Nissan SE-R forums about the Legacy vs. SE-R. I read the whole thing. It was entertaining. Now, whenever I see your posts here, I feel like I sorta know you.

That's great :D

I remember that run. The SE-R guy was not happy :lol:

I have the 5eat, with a weak stage 2, and I trumped my friends 08 manual that was stock. however, once he went to stage 1, we were neck and neck. I wish I had the 6mt 07 spec, arguably the best of the 05-07 style), but my wife can't drive stick. I do have a tranny cooler on my car, and I have towed with my car. it doesn't appear to be faster in the manual mode, but if you leave it in sport mode it does a pretty good job. I went up to the local twisties today and had some fun put my car a little sideways(60-40 split on 5eat vs 50-50 on 5mt) so if you think you cant have fun in an auto your wrong. I drove mt's for years, and do miss them, but when I am on my way to work and trying to drink my coffee its nice not to have to worry about shifting...

:)

Saying my stock 5sp car pulls as hard as your stage 2 auto did.

From 0-60, that's definitely true. For some reason your car felt faster from the passenger seat than my buddy's 05 did when I drove it stock. The numbers don't lie though, the M/T is good for around a 5.4sec 0-60, my stage two 5EAT laid down ~5.3sec runs with no 5EAT eating launch. From a 60 mph roll the stg 2 5EAT will easily pull on a stock M/T, however, at even stages, the M/T waves goodbye.

Archived