LegacyGT.com

COBB Tuning on SPT Intake

I have the SPT intake and heat shield and everyone here doesnt know WTF they are talking about, so I called COBB tonight. The test was done without the heatshield causing major heat soak. So you can consider the results for HP TQ losses null and void. I asked if it would make a difference with the heatshield and he said it would definately make a difference. As for resetting the ECU, I asked if it was done in the test so the MAF could adapt, and he said yes, and no almost like he wasnt sure. He said it was done without resetting and then again with resetting. Except I dont see the results of that anywhere. Nothing is explained in that article from COBB. Its way too vague. I really think you should not even consider that article from COBB. I asked also about a tune with the SPT intake and he said it would be dangerous...?? He said it could damage the engine. I asked about other aftermarket intakes and he was quick on the ball to say COBB was in the works of designing an intake of their own. We'll see what they come up with. I still am puzzled about the SPT intake + tune = damaged engine.... So for all of you stating you need a tune with the SPT, what tune would that be???

Most tuners refuse to make a tune for SPT Intake, because of the placement of the MAF sensor. The placement causes the reading to be inconsistent because of the turbulence - due to its placement.

I might be off on what I said above, but that is what I remember a few tuners saying back when the SPT Intake came out.

I have the SPT intake and heat shield and everyone here doesnt know WTF they are talking about,

Glad you like your intake. I like my AEM, which has been installed and tuned for successfully numerous times on many different flavors of LGT installs.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I have the SPT intake and heat shield and everyone here doesnt know WTF they are talking about, so I called COBB tonight. The test was done without the heatshield causing major heat soak. So you can consider the results for HP TQ losses null and void. I asked if it would make a difference with the heatshield and he said it would definately make a difference. As for resetting the ECU, I asked if it was done in the test so the MAF could adapt, and he said yes, and no almost like he wasnt sure. He said it was done without resetting and then again with resetting. Except I dont see the results of that anywhere. Nothing is explained in that article from COBB. Its way too vague. I really think you should not even consider that article from COBB. I asked also about a tune with the SPT intake and he said it would be dangerous...?? He said it could damage the engine. I asked about other aftermarket intakes and he was quick on the ball to say COBB was in the works of designing an intake of their own. We'll see what they come up with. I still am puzzled about the SPT intake + tune = damaged engine.... So for all of you stating you need a tune with the SPT, what tune would that be???

Any intake will require a tune. The reason is that the MAF table on the stock rom is setup for the stock intake. Take a look at that link that I posted above. Take a look at the AFR learning plot. That tells you that the SPT intake for the STi really throws off the MAF table. And yeah, you need the MAF table to be correct or else your AFR will be off.

The stock AFR table for the 2005 and 2006 are fairly rich so even if the MAF table is off, no damage will result with most intakes.

The SPT intake definitely will require a different MAF table. The pipe diameter is different and the MAF is in the elbow.

I think the problem with your first statement is that you don't understand what everyone is talking about. Did you read Cobb's review of the SPT intake? It was very thorough. Even without the heatshield, the explanations about the MAF table etc... were all there.

unsubscribe.

SPT intake is subjective in terms of HP gain or HP loss. Depends on your mods, your engine management, exhaust and heat shield or lack there of.

Personally I'll forever be avoiding the SPT intake as I've read horror stories about it on these boards.

I'm going to most likely be replacing my stock airbox and blitz drop in filter here shortly with the AVO intake and get Sean to tune the car.

Short answer : Intake on a stock car with no engine management is not a wise use of money however, getting tuned with an intake makes the car run more efficently.

TDC has proven tunes for the SPT

My car for example

Curious who tuned your car? I remember Jon posting nothing good about his experience with that intake:

Trust me Cobb is dead on

the ones i have seen (logs, and dyno charts and more) IN PERSON

the SPT is junk, worthless peice of equipment to have on a car.

Even though i can "tune for it" in some respects.. the parts that make it bad

cant be tuned out in or around

see the thread in my forum

ignore him, he'll go away.

Get a VAGCOM cable and datalog with stock intake and with SPT intake. I'll be happy to take a look at the logs.

We were just talking about the SPT intake for STi's.

http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?t=2284

CN: It's not very good.

That review is junk. Show me again when they reset the ECU. I still stick to my word until someone does a real test by resetting the ECU so it can re adapt. If Subaru says it can readapt to the new air flow, then it will readapt. I dont want to be arrogant, but guys, Subaru isnt stupid, they know more about the car than anyone else and they wouldnt market this shit if it wasnt proven to work correctly let alone be safe and effective.

That review is junk. Show me again when they reset the ECU. I still stick to my word until someone does a real test by resetting the ECU so it can re adapt. If Subaru says it can readapt to the new air flow, then it will readapt. I dont want to be arrogant, but guys, Subaru isnt stupid, they know more about the car than anyone else and they wouldnt market this shit if it wasnt proven to work correctly let alone be safe and effective.

You are naive..Sounds to me like you bought a Subaru intake and are now trying to justify its purpose.

For a fairly new member here telling people that they don't know WTF they're talking about is not a good thing.Most of your posts on this board have been complaining about your car.I would lighten up till you know WTF your talking about.

picardwtf.jpg.aa3c61a0db7a5cba186f0771d4e21826.jpg

exactly, Subaru is NOT STUPID, that's why they carefully designed the STOCK AIR box for all their cars to be very good. SPT is garbage you pay for extra to make yourself feel better. Arrogance should be your middle name.

As I recall, the main issue in the article from Cobb wasn't so much the heat soak, but the inherent instability of the MAF readings with the SPT intake. When the problem is that the intake causes the MAF readings to shift, that can be tuned around. When the MAF readings for the intake are unstable, that cannot be tuned around and it creates a dangerous situation that can lead to prolonged lean AFRs and, to sum up, engine go boom. That was the take-away I got from the Cobb article.

And Subaru doesn't design the SPT products. They are designed by an aftermarket company and tested by SPT engineer(s) for their seal of approval. Kinda like the v.1 SPT exhaust that fell apart on people...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

As I recall, the main issue in the article from Cobb wasn't so much the heat soak, but the inherent instability of the MAF readings with the SPT intake. When the problem is that the intake causes the MAF readings to shift, that can be tuned around. When the MAF readings for the intake are unstable, that cannot be tuned around and it creates a dangerous situation that can lead to prolonged lean AFRs and, to sum up, engine go boom. That was the take-away I got from the Cobb article.

And Subaru doesn't design the SPT products. They are designed by an aftermarket company and tested by SPT engineer(s) for their seal of approval. Kinda like the v.1 SPT exhaust that fell apart on people...

PIT makes the intake for the GT.

Archived