LegacyGT.com

JD Power's dependable cars list

lejjasie

Isn't it intersting that Buick used to have all these sedan and wagon options and now they only have two sedans ... I think that GM is setting themselves up for another Oldsmobile style exit.

Let's hope not because the Buick nameplate has amassed a tremendous amount of respect, goodwill and dare I say 'prestige' around the world in years gone by. There was a time when driving a Buick was just about every bit the equal of driving a Cadillac, Lincoln or Mercedes-Benz. There are wealthy car enthusiasts in Europe that build their collections around Buick automobiles because they remember what the brand once symbolized in the industrialized world.

When I lived and studied in Germany many years ago, I became friends with one of Germany's (and now the European Union's) richest, non-royal families and though they could afford to buy or fly anything they desired, when it came to automobiles .. they drove Buicks.

Did you know that Buick built the first mass-produced, affordable automobile that could easily and reliably exceed 100 mph? Buick introduced that car as the 'Century' and the model thrived for decades before being axed from the lineup in the past few years (though it remains a huge success in the Peoples Republic of China where at last count over a 100,000 are being produced and sold annually).

The above said, I don't think GM management is quite sure how to use Buick's rich heritage and undeniable build quality as a starting point to redefine it to appeal to a younger demographic. The new Buick Enclave CUV is receiving excellent reviews but it's not inexpensive and will likely appeal to relatively affluent and older, but not elderly, drivers.

FWIW, if I were in charge and had to kill one brand at GM it would be Pontiac while repositioning Buick as the homegrown Lexus.

:)

Let's hope not because the Buick nameplate has amassed a tremendous amount of respect, goodwill and dare I say 'prestige' around the world in years gone by. There was a time when driving a Buick was just about every bit the equal of driving a Cadillac, Lincoln or Mercedes-Benz. There are wealthy car enthusiasts in Europe that build their collections around Buick automobiles because they remember what the brand once symbolized in the industrialized world.

My parents live in a retirement community. Buicks everywhere. So many Le Sabres (its very boring). But the real conversation piece at the country club is my mom's hybrid. Not the Buick Roadmaster.

Archived