LegacyGT.com

Test Drove 2008 WRX (4 and 5 door)

awalla5150

Today through a work related convention I was able to test drive the 2008 Impreza line (exept STi) on a autocross course in CT. We all know what they look like by now mostly inside and out. Outside may be iffy to some but I dont think many can complain about its interior. Anyways the new suspension design is def a big step foward as to the way the vehicle drives. Both the 4 and 5 door seem to sit slightly lower, at least wheel well space that is I dont have the vehicle's height specs. Mid range torque increase is def noticble as well. Just thought I would share this good experience with everyone...

thanks

I read a review of the '08 WRX from Edmunds.com and they commented on the soft suspension as well. I think Subaru is trying to water down the WRX a bit and make it more mainstream. But I'd expect them to make the STI appeal more to the hardcore enthusiasts as usual.

Anyway, despite the softer suspension, the car is built on a better chassis. The previous gen Impreza was built on an old chassis that has seen many revisions but it wasn't the ultimate in chassis design by any means. With the new one based on the Legacy chassis they were able to build a car with a longer wheelbase, larger interior dimensions, and more torsional rigidity. On top of all that they made it 50 pounds lighter than the previous model. For what it's worth, the WRX 5-door is lighter than the FWD Mazdaspeed 3 as well. ;) I think the car should respond great to a stiffer aftermarket suspension with good tires.

I drove by the local stealership to check one out y'day. That thing is so ugly even after they removed the egg grille that i cant fathom how bad it would look with that egg crate grille. It looks like the legacy had a bastard step child with the tribeca and the tribeca passed the ugly gene to it.

It comes with the dreaded RE92A's.

The interior seems rather nice (maybe some improvement in rear leg room)...even though i didnt sit in it (but thats not any consolation for that exterior).

Those tail lights dont belong on that car. The curvature of the rear glass is very wierd from the outside and not in-tune with the other lines.

THe only design element i actuall liked was the crease ont eh hood and how it came down on the grill to form a nice curve...everything else plain sucked.

And i didnt see a sunroof....and i hope thats not subaru's option.....c'mon its not a base impreza...it's the WRX...all rex's should come with a sunroof.

Another big problem with the hatch is the fact that it leaves that rear window so exposed to drunks walking by and slamming into it.

With the proper trunk chances are the drunk may slam against the read decklid....with the hatch....its straight to the rear glass....and we know what that does to the rear glass.

That was the whole fvcking point of the introduction of the Impreza.. to have a SHORTER wheelbase than the Legacy. Remember, it was the Legacy that started rallying and their driver at the time wanted a car with a shorter wheelbase that would handle better.

I don't care if the chassis design is "more advanced" blah blah double wishbone, blah blah.. the WRX is NOT the car it once used to be :mad:

Sure. Although the wheelbase is 103.1 inches, not the full wheelbase of the Legacy. And of course the WRX isn't the same car it once was (at least in stock form).

But seeing as how its a stiffer chassis, the car should see some handling benefits with stiffer suspensions. Chassis flex is a big factor to the handling of a car. And if you're building a car for racing and using a very stiff suspension as so many do then it's more important than ever to have a stiff chassis. There's a perfect example of this in the Street Modified class in SCCA autocrossing.

Former SCCA Solo Nationals champion Dennis Grant talks about that here...

At some point, chassis flex starts becoming a signifigant portion of total suspension movement and until you get rid of that flex further suspension tuning is going to be relatively ineffective. This was a key part of the concept behind Street Modified's "don't touch the chassis" rules and it is suprisingly effective. Look at any high-dollar race series and see how much effort goes into stiffening the chassis....

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html

One can only hope the new STI will be the best one yet (except for the 22B of course). Personally, I expect it to be faster in a straight line, more capable in the corners, and more aerodynamic than the previous model. As for the styling, I don't think my '06 STI is much of a looker either. But I didn't buy it for the looks.

Sure. Although the wheelbase is 103.1 inches, not the full wheelbase of the Legacy. And of course the WRX isn't the same car it once was (at least in stock form).

But seeing as how its a stiffer chassis, the car should see some handling benefits with stiffer suspensions. Chassis flex is a big factor to the handling of a car. And if you're building a car for racing and using a very stiff suspension as so many do then it's more important than ever to have a stiff chassis. There's a perfect example of this in the Street Modified class in SCCA autocrossing.

Former SCCA Solo Nationals champion Dennis Grant talks about that here...

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html

One can only hope the new STI will be the best one yet (except for the 22B of course). Personally, I expect it to be faster in a straight line, more capable in the corners, and more aerodynamic than the previous model. As for the styling, I don't think my '06 STI is much of a looker either. But I didn't buy it for the looks.

wow. awesome post!

yes, in person, the hatch looks much better. i simply cannot wait til the new sti hatch is unveiled and there is one for me to oogle over.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

You're just a sedan fanboy :lol: I don't think any of us wagon guys have had the rear glass broken by some drunk who couldn't walk in a straight line :lol:

+1 :lol::lol::lol: That thought never ever crossed my mind when I got my wagon. If you need to worry about drunks f-ing up your car then you need to move or park it somewhere else.

What would prevent the same drunk from smashing the rear window of a sedan?

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I would tend to agree, the shorter wheelbase makes the

(older generation) imprezas handle better than longer LGTs,

completely different beasts imo, the shorter wrx/sti is

MUCH more tossable and fun to drive, I'm noticing

the difference even after adding konis/ions to my LGT

and my wrx remains stock , the different geometry

and dimensions in both cars goes a long way explaining

the different rides felt in each

That was the whole fvcking point of the introduction of the Impreza.. to have a SHORTER wheelbase than the Legacy. Remember, it was the Legacy that started rallying and their driver at the time wanted a car with a shorter wheelbase that would handle better.

I don't care if the chassis design is "more advanced" blah blah double wishbone, blah blah.. the WRX is NOT the car it once used to be :mad:

Archived