LegacyGT.com

Messed Up Front Bumper - Need Suggestions

ExRex

So I messed up my front bumper. Don't ask how, too painful to relive... Good news is the damage is completely cosmetic, but the bumper is done. So I'm trying to decide what to do. Since I may do the work myself, rather than submitting it to the Insurance Co., I'm wondering whether there is a good source for prepainted factory bumpers (do such things even exist?). Any suggestions? Of course, if there was a high quality aftermarket option that didn't rate too high on the Fast n' Furious scale, that might be an even better option. A little silver lining around this busted-bumper cloud. So far I haven't been able to find anything that really tickles my fancy... what would you guys do?

You are sort of in luck if the damage is confined to the bumper. If the old one can be repaired, you can have it stripped, filled/sanded, repainted, and baked. If not, you can start with a new bumper and have it painted/baked. They do not offer large parts prepainted, unfortunately! The bumper covers can be easily removed installed. In addition, painters can bake separate parts like this (they could not bake an integrated panel like the roof). So you can get a relatively high quality and durable paint job on a part like a bumper. I guess if it were me and I was trying to minimize costs, I would order the bumper from Liberty Subaru in NY (they discount about 20-25% and they are close to you to minimize shipping costs) and then have it painted/baked at a reputable body shop in the area. From there, you can install it yourself. The real question is if they can easily ship a large part like a bumper. Craig

NOTE: I just found out that some plastiv body parts arrive at the SIA factory pre-painted (such as the lower cladding and door trim on my Outback and the rear spoiler on all wagons). Maybe the bumpers are pre-painted as well, and maybe you can order them that way. Check with the parts guy at your dealership or ask them at [email]parts@libertysubaru.com[/email]. Craig

I've asked Liberty for a price quote, I'll let you know what I hear. The JDM bumper sounds cool, but I'm worried about the time and expense of importing parts from Japan, along with the additional cost of getting the bumper beam and other parts required to make it fit. Also, and maybe I'm being an old fuddy-duddy here, wouldn't a JDM bumper bring the car out of DOT compliance? Could there be any issues at inspection time? What about resale value? Just a couple of factors I'd consider.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm in the same boat, messed up small part of my bumper and am thinking about replacing it if the cost is bearable... question: how much is it to import the spec B bumper? i remember someone saying $1k, but how much is the painted bumper itself? and the necessary parts to make it fit? i know the main problem is the bumper beam, but will it be too difficult to do it yourself?

[quote name='Legacy05GT']go for the full GIALLA body kit. Its the tits. [/QUOTE] I'd recommend the gialla kit as well....BUT I had a little incident with my car last wednesday that tore the lower lip off. I'd like to see this kit on a legacy but I think with a drop and that kit, you're looking for trouble.

The JDM Spec-B bumper is ~$1000, painted and shipped. [size=2][/size] [size=2]The USDM bumper is $230, and you can pick it up at your dealership (and use Scoobie bucks if you have any). You just need to get it painted.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]The JDM is awesome, but it's a matter of how much a miner change in appearance is worth to you.[/size]
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Go to subaru.com to get pics of the USDM bumper. Here is a pic of the JDM one: [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5481&page=3&pp=10"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5481&page=3&pp=10[/url]
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='GoSix']The JDM Spec-B bumper is ~$1000, painted and shipped. [size=2]The USDM bumper is $230, and you can pick it up at your dealership (and use Scoobie bucks if you have any). You just need to get it painted.[/size] [size=2]The JDM is awesome, but it's a matter of how much a miner change in appearance is worth to you.[/size][/QUOTE] frickin import costs. I just wish we'd do more business with japan so I could declare one of those bumpers a piece of luggage :) I'd settle for vanilla JDM if that costs less too. Not like there is a huge difference anyway.

[quote name='sp']question: what's the cost breakdown for the $1k jdm bumper? if i have a relative in japan, can they bring it over as luggage? just wondering what my options are down the line...[/QUOTE] I believe that the bumper still cannot be brought over as luggage, unfortunately. The cost breakdown is: $600 - $700 for the bumper (depending who you talk to) $300 - $400 for freight

Used JDM Spec B bumpers will be a lot less than that. I figure $400 plus shipping to you from TX. It will require painting...but you can get that done locally to you for around $150-$200, I'm sure. It would require removal of your stock bumper beam, I think. At least the foam. Yes it would kill the DOT legality. No you won't have any trouble come inspection time...the inspectors have no real way to check if you still have a 5mph bumper beam. No, it won't make your car less safe, really. Maybe less pedestrian friendly - but just don't hit any pedestrians and you'll be fine :)

• 2 months later...

Archived