LegacyGT.com

Overtorqued the piss out of my trans bolt!

[rant]

I can't believe this. At 30,000 miles I performed the transmission fluid replacement myself and torqued the transmission drain bolt to the factory spec of 51ft/lbs.

Two months later the dealer replaced my clutch under warranty. Shortly after there was a pool of gear oil on my garage floor. I tried to loosen the transmission bolt in hopes of torqueing it correctly but it wouldn't budge. I purchased an impact gun rated at 250ft/lbs and it still won't budge!

How friggin tight did they screw this sucker on? Now I'm worried that they damaged the oil pan threads, as the factory spec is only 51ft/lbs. I'll be calling the dealer Monday to yell at them. :spin:

[/rant]

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

did they change the fluid when the did the clutch?

you know as the parts get hot/cold they can get tighter/ looser

The fluid looks clear, but then again I changed it only a few months before it went it for service. For some odd reason, I'm guessing they tightened every bolt after the clutch change (maybe their standard practice?). I say this because my oil drain bolt and oil filter were excessively overtorqued. I had to purchase a breaker bar to get the oil drain bolt loosened.

I understand any bolt will tighten and loosen with fluctuations in temperature, but when I did the 30,000 mile service myself, I was able to loosen it with my own strength. I cannot believe a bolt being tightened from 51ft/lbs to over 250+ ft/lbs via temperature change.

At the dealer now. Dealer promised a rental but denied me a car since I am under 23 years old. So I can test drive a car and buy a car there but I cannot drive one after the sale.

More bullshit. Picked up the car after hours because I had to work earlier today. My A/C isn't working and they recharged the system, and it is still blowing hot air...wtf?

My complaint on the receipt says "Customer states transmission is leaking gear oil, transmission drain bolt overtorqued???"

The technician wrote, "Confirmed transmission leak, drain bolt missing lock nut washer, excessively overtorqued, unable to remove at this time."

I left a message with the service manager to call me ASAP. This is bullshit, they take my car, overtorque the bolt, it starts leaking and can't get it loose, so they send me home with a leaking tranny?!?!?!

BS loaner rules... they offer me a loaner with every oil change.. I'm 23 now but I got loaners when I was 19.

I figured it was BS. I can't see their insurance allowing a 19 year old to test drive cars but prohibit them from loaners.

On an even worse note, I called the service dept today and the guy didn't know why they sent me home with a leaking tranny, but indirectly accused me of cross-threading the bolt. I will be calling the service manager Monday and seeking legal help if they refuse to fix their error.

I can't believe it is this hard to loosen a bolt.

Brought the car back today. A/C was recharged and tranny bolt was replaced with proper gasket.

Verdict? Tranny is still leaking and A/C doesn't work. I will be going to a different dealer because it is obvious this one is not competent.

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=284

• 5 months later...
Quick update from an old thread. I took the car to Anchor Subaru in Lincoln, RI. They confirmed that Bald Hill overtorqued by drain plug AGAIN. They replace the drain plug gasket and drain plug and torqued it to the factory specifications. No more leaks!

Quick update from an old thread. I took the car to Anchor Subaru in Lincoln, RI. They confirmed that Bald Hill overtorqued by drain plug AGAIN. They replace the drain plug gasket and drain plug and torqued it to the factory specifications. No more leaks!

Will Anchor be charging their labor to the other dealership, as they SHOULD do?

Archived