LegacyGT.com

How to Make an OB XT Handle Just Like an L GT....

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S! Switched out the re92a’s on my 05 OB XT 5MT for these the other day and WOW, what a difference. I had an L GT 5EAT sedan as a loner for a week last month and I have to say that now there is virtually no difference in handling from LGT to OB XT. Of course if you put better tires on the LGT…..

Costco. $199 a tire online shipped to the Costco of my choice + $10 for lifetime balancing and rotation. Discount Tire had the same package for about $225 a tire. Tire Rack had them at like $188 + shipping + finding a place and whatever they charge for installation and the "extras". Too much of a hassle for me. Handling and wet/icy traction is MUCH better than the 92a's. No heavy snow yet but in a light snowstorm and icy conditions the other day the A/S' were just fine. I really didn't like the 92a's in those conditions. My old 01 OB with the OEM "Wilderness" and later Pilot XGT H4's was much better than the 05 with 92a's. I was afraid about noise after reading reviews at the online tire shops. But, they're really not that bad. The ride is definitely firmer, but I like that.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Nice choice. I, too, noticed a great difference in handling with upgraded tires. The stockers are truly pathetic. Certainly not in line with an upscale manufacturer, not to mention what is supposed to be a performance version of a vehicle.

[quote name='jedimaster']Nice choice. I, too, noticed a great difference in handling with upgraded tires. The stockers are truly pathetic. Certainly not in line with an upscale manufacturer, not to mention what is supposed to be a performance version of a vehicle.[/QUOTE] Couldn't agree more. Heck, the "Firestone Wilderness" 225/60 R 16's on my 01 OB were better than the 92a's. I sold them with 6,000 miles to the guy at the tire shop for $125.

• 4 weeks later...
Are wheel alignment settings the same between the Outback XT and Legacy GT? I couldn't believe how easy it was to get squeeling in even low speed maneuvers with the Outback XT I test drove. I didn't drive the Legacy GT for as long, but it seemed to stick considerably better... and turn-in was sharper. Good to hear the Outback XT has the potential in it though. I like its stance.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You could change springs I guess. Whatever happened to the old days when you just took a torch and cut a coil or two out of the springs?

[quote name='Garandman']Is it easy to set the new Outback back down to 6-7" of grond clearance? The 7.3" of the old models seelmed to be just right for heavy loads/rough road/snow. So the exrta inch may just increase body roll (and gets a light truck rating) for 99.5% of the time.[/QUOTE] Despite the taller ground clearance in the 05 models, they actually have a lower CG than the previous 00-04 models and the suspension is significantly better for spirited driving. Less ground clearance would make it better, but the 05 is already way better than the previous model. Craig

Archived