LegacyGT.com

*Pricing* Need a Suspension Kit, which one?

pheonix991

I'm looking into a suspension kit for my new 97 Leggy. A friend reccomended some adjusable coilovers, and some other stuff, idk what it was though. Idk how much to spend, just need a good idea on what to look for in a suspension, what to buy, what to stay away from. Pretty much a crash course in buying a suspension kit for my Leggy. Do you guys think you could help me figure out how much money I should spend and what I should spend it on?

I say save up your money and look to buy a newer car in the near future; I'm not sure it makes sense to mod a 10 year old car unless it's a dedicated toy or track car that you're going to keep for a long time.

I'm not familiar with the 97's, but a good starting point is either springs or coilovers. Springs would be the best bang for the buck ($200ish) if there are some out there that are reasonable well matched to the stock struts. If you go that route, you may well find that you don't need any other modifications to give you a ride you are happy with! Coilovers are nice, too, but will run you anywhere from $800-$1500 most likely. Swaybars will reduce side-to-side body roll but won't address the fore/aft dive&squat you get under braking & acceleration, so I always recommend springs (or coilovers) first, since they help with everything.

I think Brother PO6781 has good advice for you: Springs to address body roll, dive, and squat; front strutbar to stiffen the front structure to get the most out of your stiffer springs; and a rear sway bar to reduce understeer and give the car a more "RWD" feel to it. Can probably be done for $500 or less if you install everything yourself.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I say save up your money and look to buy a newer car in the near future; I'm not sure it makes sense to mod a 10 year old car unless it's a dedicated toy or track car that you're going to keep for a long time.

I'm not familiar with the 97's, but a good starting point is either springs or coilovers. Springs would be the best bang for the buck ($200ish) if there are some out there that are reasonable well matched to the stock struts. If you go that route, you may well find that you don't need any other modifications to give you a ride you are happy with! Coilovers are nice, too, but will run you anywhere from $800-$1500 most likely. Swaybars will reduce side-to-side body roll but won't address the fore/aft dive&squat you get under braking & acceleration, so I always recommend springs (or coilovers) first, since they help with everything.

I think Brother PO6781 has good advice for you: Springs to address body roll, dive, and squat; front strutbar to stiffen the front structure to get the most out of your stiffer springs; and a rear sway bar to reduce understeer and give the car a more "RWD" feel to it. Can probably be done for $500 or less if you install everything yourself.

Thanks a lot for the info. I just got the car, it is my first car, and I plan on having it for at least the next 2 or 3 years, so, that is why I want to make it as nice as I can.

No problem, and welcome to the Forum! Unfortunately for you, 98% of this site is dedicated to the 2005+ USDM models rather than the older cars, but if you haven't founf it yet there is an "Older Legacy Performance" forum here that would probably make for some very good reading for you. If you just got the car I'd recommend driving it for a month or two as-is just to kinda figure out for yourself what areas you'd like to improve so you can spend your money wisely.

Have fun!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

No problem, and welcome to the Forum! Unfortunately for you, 98% of this site is dedicated to the 2005+ USDM models rather than the older cars, but if you haven't founf it yet there is an "Older Legacy Performance" forum here that would probably make for some very good reading for you. If you just got the car I'd recommend driving it for a month or two as-is just to kinda figure out for yourself what areas you'd like to improve so you can spend your money wisely.

Have fun!

Thanks. I'm going to drive the car for a while first of course, I don't have any money to spend!!! Just wanted to price some stuff so I could know how much to save.

I've come to the conclusion it is going to be about $2500 for everything, that is if I go top of the line. So, idk might just settle for a $800 setup, and put the rest to a new car or something.

Archived