LegacyGT.com

The MPG Challange

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey! My buddy (class a driver for 4 years) was driving. He got within 5 feet of a truck for about 10 miles. scary as heck heading to the RI boarder. We fueled up and the average was about 43mpg.....do not under estimate the power of a truck. half the time he didn't even use the gas or cruise. pretty scary and we are lucky there were no bears on the road.

give it a try though. Drive behind a truck. 10-15 feet is OK and clear your computer. It will shoot up. When we pulled on her said "wanna see something funny?" He got right up on his ass. He told me that he did that in AZ to CA and was getting about 16mpg on his rig (avg, 10mpg). One thing I could feel was the vibration...big time. the winds in the back are a bit nerve ending. but he is a "professional driver" so.... But he drives a Camry.

If youve got the auto and have extreme skill, you can keep the torque converter locked and save massive amounts of fuel. Its hard to explain, but you can feel it lock, and it normally stays locked if u dont push on the gas too hard. I can keep mine locked even when going up slow hills and whatnot, it takes some getting used to. When its unlocked, it wasted so much energy.

and yes, I am way too in-tune with my auto trans =P

update for me:

2005 2.5i pzero emissions engine @ 69k miles(a lot more restrictive than the regular 2.5i engine):

- perrin panel filter

- intake silencer removed

- resonator removed

- custom made exhaust

100% city driving @ 27.1 mpg @ avg 40-50mph.

stayed at 2000-2600 rpm at all times.

damn that was hard. but w/o the resonator the exhaust gets too loud past 3000 rpm.... so i gotta keep the revs low.

sucks for speed and sound.. but great for mpg!

Yep even with stock cans the turbo howl is also still there at idle.

If youve got the auto and have extreme skill, you can keep the torque converter locked and save massive amounts of fuel. Its hard to explain, but you can feel it lock, and it normally stays locked if u dont push on the gas too hard. I can keep mine locked even when going up slow hills and whatnot, it takes some getting used to. When its unlocked, it wasted so much energy.

and yes, I am way too in-tune with my auto trans =P

I suck at multiquote so I don't...

If i had a dream about touching the gas it unlocks. There was no gentle tap or minute movement that would prevent it. I assume it could be a tune but never heard a subaru community that had tranny tunes like the ford auto crowd had. Our tuners let us bump lock up speeds, shift times and firmness.

The mpg display is not accurate. Another member posted a chart showing actual compared to display and the results were erradic.

Ive checked the mpg display on my LGT twice and both times its been exactly what I calculated with the miles divided by gallons method. 21.3, then 21.7 (probably 60/40 city/highway)

I have a 2.5i and average mid 24-26 around town, but have gotten as high as 31 mpg highway and I am stock with just an SPT catback.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

lol ∞ with the engine off..

I normally get 24 around town, and 28ish on the highway. The best Ive ever gotten is 31.5. I dont have one of those fancy trip computers tho =P I do it the old fashion way

lol ∞ with the engine off..

I normally get 24 around town, and 28ish on the highway. The best Ive ever gotten is 31.5. I dont have one of those fancy trip computers tho =P I do it the old fashion way

Since I got it I became more mpg anal now. I try to stay away from instant & current mpg and x miles to empty if I can.

I have a 2.5i and average mid 24-26 around town, but have gotten as high as 31 mpg highway and I am stock with just an SPT catback.

I want to get a catback for my car i have a 08 2.5i pzev....so they make one for my car

I don't know. Supposedly the SPT is for just the LGT, but it fit on mine.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

On the 60 mile drive home from the dealership, I averaged 31mpg.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 3 weeks later...

For the Record:

Before my O2 Sensor went out, i was averaging 30-35 (don't really remember because i haven't fixed the o2 sensor... waiting to do exhaust) on the highway when i used the cruise control at the legal speed or 5 mph over.

Iridium Spark Plugs, CAI, Lightweight Crank Pulley.

Just wanted to mention something for those getting low gas mileage.

It could just be due to the high mileage on my legacy (86,XXX), but I used a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner (silver bottle) a couple tanks ago and am now averaging about 3 miles more per gallon. I used to get around 21.5-22 mpg for what I would consider approx 60%/40% (city/highway) driving.

Haven't taken a long road trip since, but the highest avg I've ever seen was on a 4hr drive at 29mpg. I'd imagine it'd be up in the low 30's now. Fuel system must have been pretty dirty/clogged.

^^^ Depending on how dirty your system is (injectors, valves, chambers) you can knock a few MPG off your average.

A former 4-cyl vehicle I owned had leaking valve stem seals that allowed oil to coke up on the valves and restrict air flow. I tried several fuel additives w/o any real success. On a particular long road trip (~750 miles) I ran through a couple of bottles of Chevron Intake Valve Cleaner. My MPG went from 23 to 29 by the end of the second treated tank. Since then I swear by the Techron products. I still run a bottle through each one of my vehicles at every oil change to keep them clean and running smooth. My wife's 02 Forester with 96K on the clock still pulls down a consistent 22 mpg just like when it was new.

This past weekend I got 31.5 MPG on our trip to MD/NJ

Archived