LegacyGT.com

Transmission (MT) question

2Subarus

Alright I did not really notice a transmission related forum so I am putting this here. If it is in the wrong area I apologize. I recently purchased a 2001 Outback Wagon, and have noticed an issue. When I first start the car and shift I have no problems. Where the problem comes in is when I have been driving a while stop then start. There is a bad shaking when I am starting off? No it is not my first manual transmission I have been driving a stick for the last 18 years and have never had anything like this happen. Is this common with Outbacks? Like I said, it only happens after I have been driving for a while. Any suggestions?

It is at the point of engagement, but it does not happen on the first few starts and stops. Only when the car has been driven for a while. I have been driving MT for 18 years.

Well I call a couple of places around here about replacing the clutch, if that is what is needed and I guess I am looking at $900-$1000. Does that sound about right? I am guessing the lady that had it before me was not very good at driving a stick since it now only has 26k miles on it.

I had a 2002 forester which had the the factory installed clutch chatter. Started around 11k miles. At 20k miles subaru replaced my clutch, PP, and flywheel under warranty. I've heard lots of 2002 legacy's and foresters had clutch problems. I'm not sure if the problem was present on the 2001's or not. Check over on car talk site, as I know I've heard several callers on car talk who have experienced the exact same problems I was having. Yours sounds very similar..
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived