LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD with hr springs review

ebpda9

After blowing up all 4 dampers on my K-Sports i decided to do the right thing and go with reputable names in suspension parts. For dampers i did go with the bilstein HD and for springs with H&R. Just got done doing the install and drove the car for about 30-40 miles. So far it seems nice to only see the bumps and potholes, althhough during hard cornering the car shows some fender liners and it seems like it's understeering a bit, but with my awesome alignament skills right now my car has positive camber. As for ride height, well seems stock to me, but i expect it to settle in the next few days, before i take it to the alignament shop.

I know most people are in the dark about the bilstein HD, so i snapped some pics of the front bilsteins and oem 2.5i shocks. Visible there is no change in the mounting points of the spring, even with the spec-B upper spring mounts.

Can we see more pics? This is good stuff. Did you use the USDM or JDM strut mounts?

Notice anything between stock vs ksport vs bilstein hd/h&r? What are your observations. This is the exact configuration I would like to do.

Also, did you get the car aligned already or were you making a funny on the alignment thing? ha.

i love this setup as far as ride quality and handling goes. the car seems a bit firmer than stock, but you will never bite your tongue going over bumps or thru potholes. The car can get a bit scary at the limit with this setup, mainly just because my front end seems to not have enough weight on it for the springs, but then again i have a 2.5i. I got the car alignaed and the handling imporved dramatically.

As far as the mounting goes, i used the spec b upper strut mount with the USDM upper spring seat. it is just that the front sits a bit higher than the rear, but then again i have a 2.5i. they were .0.2" lower than the GT from the factory, and i am looking into some swift springs, but i need to determin the weights of the 2.5i vs the gt first.

the k-sports were awesome before they blew. lowered the car pretty much 1.5" all round, and the car would not lean in turns at all with no swaybars whatsoever. only if their dampers would have been a bit more reliable.

i love this setup as far as ride quality and handling goes. the car seems a bit firmer than stock, but you will never bite your tongue going over bumps or thru potholes. The car can get a bit scary at the limit with this setup, mainly just because my front end seems to not have enough weight on it for the springs, but then again i have a 2.5i. I got the car alignaed and the handling imporved dramatically.

As far as the mounting goes, i used the spec b upper strut mount with the USDM upper spring seat. it is just that the front sits a bit higher than the rear, but then again i have a 2.5i. they were .0.2" lower than the GT from the factory, and i am looking into some swift springs, but i need to determin the weights of the 2.5i vs the gt first.

the k-sports were awesome before they blew. lowered the car pretty much 1.5" all round, and the car would not lean in turns at all with no swaybars whatsoever. only if their dampers would have been a bit more reliable.

I read on the Bilstein HD review that the USDM top hats will make the car sit .5" higher but the JDM ones will be a tad be lower.

Did you also do your sway bars as well?

i will look into sway bars later, since i am broke as hell right now. also i might give the jdm/spec b top hatrs a try since they are under $50

Where would I find the JDM top hats?

I'm planning on different springs. I did a little research and it looks like h&r makes the most aggressive drop out of 4-5 companies. The JDM pinks are only 15mm which translates to .6" and even swifts/prova/etc are 1.1" which leads me to believe that that h&r's would not be a good mate for the bilsteins. I will wait for more reviews. :)

actually the h&r's don't seem to drop the car as much as the swifts. finally looked up the weights on the car and between my 4EAT 2.5i and the 2.5GT 5MT is only a whopping 10lbs difference, so i doubt that is going to affect the drop too much. I am really falling in love with this setup now. i still have 2" gap in the front and about 1" gap in the rear

Archived