LegacyGT.com

Rattle When Turning

About 2 weeks ago, I picked up my 08 XT manual. I love the car, it drives great, lots of power and good gas mileage. The only thing that worries me is that when I am turning sharply at low speeds (left or right) and I drive over a bump, the front rattles a lot. It sounds ridiculous. Anyone have any thoughts on this? In the winter I drive up north often on dirt/frozen roads and I want to make sure that I don't have any problems.

Thanks.

Pop the hood and make sure the plastic cover (says "Subaru Boxer" or something like that) on the engine has all four pop-rivets in it. If one or two is lose or missing, that could very well be your problem.

It is more like a "clunk." It's repetitive and last a few seconds. Again, it's loud. The first time I heard/felt it I thought my front wheels were going to fall off. Would a brand new car have CV joint problems?

take it to the dealer and see what they say. If you can drive with them and reproduce the problem, they might actually want to fix it. If you just leave your car, they will tell you 'it's normal' or some bs like that

I have a similar problem in my LGT. I think many subarus just have a clunking noise when turning. Other option is if you had a STI STS and the dealer improperly re-torqued the H-bracket (and I have no clue whether the Forester even has an H bracket).

I say bug your dealer to get it fixed, especially since is a new car

I have an '08 2.5i SE and I also noticed the same thing Black 08XT and others are describing. It only happens when turning over a bump like when I turn into a driveway with a raised curb at the bottom. For once I can rest easy knowing there are others experiencing the same issue. Other than that specific circumstance it feels tight and normal.

I have an appointment at the dealer, so I will let everyone know what they say. I also agree, the car handles great otherwise, but this noise is something I have to check out. Some say that it's the bushings, are bushings in Subaru's notorious for being poor quality? BTW, this forum is addictive and all I want to do is start making my car unique. I thought that by buying this car, I would avoid the temptation, but I was wrong...

I have an appointment at the dealer, so I will let everyone know what they say. I also agree, the car handles great otherwise, but this noise is something I have to check out. Some say that it's the bushings, are bushings in Subaru's notorious for being poor quality? BTW, this forum is addictive and all I want to do is start making my car unique. I thought that by buying this car, I would avoid the temptation, but I was wrong...

my clunking noise on slow speed turns, over small speed bumps and the like, as well as slow accel from stop turned out to be a strut, which was not my first guess as there is only 9k on the clock.

good thing its still covered under mfr warranty.

So...I brought the car to the dealer this morning. We took it for a ride, I was able to replicate the noise. The tech said it was normal, but it did sound a little louder than it was supposed to. He checked it out, found nothing wrong. He also stated that the ball joints are new and need time to break in. I have never heard of that before. I guess I just have to deal with it, but it's nice to know my wheels aren't going to fall off. On a happier note, I ordered an intake (yes, mostly just for the fun and not performance since I know it will be minimal) and I have set up an appointment for tint. 20% in the back, 35% in the front. I can wait to have that done.

My car has this exact problem .. the front end sounds like a sewing machine when I'm slowly turning over uneven surfaces like gravel. Apparently it's a rather common problem having to do with Subaru's steering racks, and there doesn't seem to be a definite fix for it. The rattle got even louder after I put on the SuperPro LCA bushings. I've learned to live with it :/

have you tried replacing steering rack bushings with whiteline kit?

My car has this exact problem .. the front end sounds like a sewing machine when I'm slowly turning over uneven surfaces like gravel. Apparently it's a rather common problem having to do with Subaru's steering racks, and there doesn't seem to be a definite fix for it. The rattle got even louder after I put on the SuperPro LCA bushings. I've learned to live with it :/

I have exactly the same problem you described. I also took a technician for a drive and reproduced the "clunk/rattle". He said it was normal.

It sure does sound like some major part of the suspension is about to fall off though.

+1

I never really heard this rattle until I put the LCA bushings.

Don't know if this thread is still being looked at, but I recently saw a TSB that seems to parallel the symptoms we're all seeing, not just in the H6 3.0L that they're stating. I've had this too...even after the "break in period"

Check it out

-Jonathan

After reading that, I think it's referring to a different issue. The issue I was describing occurs when you hit a bump/crease/pothole with the wheel turned. It's surely a rattle/clunk/WTF noise. To be honest, I am pretty surprised that many have this same problem and Subaru never thought about fixing it. Who wants to drive around a $30k car that sounds like a piece of crap? Has anyone that has completely switched out their suspension not have this problem anymore? Just curious.

Archived