LegacyGT.com

Power drop in the 2.5i between '07 and '08. Why?

So the 2.5i engine has gone from 175 HP and 169 Torque in the '07 to 170 HP and 170 Torque in the '08, all at the same revs.

Anybody knows why this is so? It is not supposed to be the new SAE method. Has Subaru reworked the torque/HP curve? Impact of new emission regulations?

If you are buying a 2.5i, power is not your main priority. ;)

this must be your second job: first to post "shoulda bought a GT" :lol:(but you're right)

i thought it was the SAE method of calculating because they changed it. they didn't get rid of AVLS in the 2.5i's did they?

I am not "complaining" about power, simply inquiring about the change. I find my current 2.5i has enough power for normal use. It is of course more fun to have more power, but how often can one use it with the ever-increasing trafic and repressive speed enforcement?

Also, the price of the GT in Canada, where I live, is higher than the price of an Audi A4. Just for that reason, I wouldn't buy the GT.

The new SAE power rating was introduced in 2007 for the GT Turbo, so I am wondering how it could have been delayed to 2008 for the 2.5i. I am also not aware of any stricter emissions regulations taking effect in 2008.

Subarus official power ratings very often have little or nothing to do with the actual power output of the vehicle. They are all marketing based.

For example the from the 2005 to 2006 WRX, when it got the 2.5l, supposedly there was an increase of 3 hp and 6 torque at the crank according to subaru.

Dynos have proven that the increase was actually ~33WHP and ~60WTRQ (cobbs dyno) (!!!!!!) :rolleyes:

But yeah you wont feel ~2hp if that is the actual difference

It certainly smacks of the new SAE rating change. I thought some cars started rating according to the new rules a year earlier than we saw them on the LGT so maybe they weren't required to make the change until 2008; just a guess.

I think companies should be forced by law to market according to wheel horsepower

If you do some research about how whp/dyno is measured you will find that your request is rather silly. (Calibrate the dyno wrong and I can get 5,000whp out of a 2.5i!)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Apparently you can't even inquire about the horsepower on the N/A car in the N/A forum here :rolleyes:

I am still happy with my choice of the 2.5i three years ago: It was a well-considered decision:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028

In fact, I am considering getting a 2008 2.5i. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I have always replaced a previous car with something truly different. My 2005 2.5i is my eleventh car, but it is the first car I am not itching to trade for a new one after 3 years.

I am still happy with my choice of the 2.5i three years ago: It was a well-considered decision:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028

In fact, I am considering getting a 2008 2.5i. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I have always replaced a previous car with something truly different. My 2005 2.5i is my eleventh car, but it is the first car I am not itching to trade for a new one after 3 years.

Its a good car. Mine is a 05 wagon 2.5i and I don't make decisions to buy a car lightly either. Power to weight ratio is right where I expected it to be and it does a good job in and around town. Its a blast on the highway, its been a good 20k miles so far :)

I just saw an explanation here:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,SUBARU.spy?artid=83680&pg=1

"Under the skin, the 2008 Subaru Legacy has received some upgrades as well. The 2.5-litre 4-cylinder normally-aspirated boxer engine now features increased mid-range torque as a result of modifications to the cam timing.

The engine is rated at 170 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque."

So it would be a new cam timing compromise between horsepower and torque. Shouldn't be too bad as the 2.5i is already very torquey.

Archived