LegacyGT.com

Sibling Rivalry

So I was going to work this morning, and I stopped at the sign to take a right turn onto my freeway onramp. And what do I see opposite me, taking a left turn to get on the same onramp, but a shiny silver STi. And he goes first, pushing it pretty good. I followed right after him trying to catch up but really just about staying the same distance behind him. I need to turn left across two lanes to get into the correct lane for my next interchange to the 5 freeway, which is a long downhill slightly decreasing radius sweeper. It's also two lanes. :) The STi has also made the change to the left-most lane in front of me, and we're both about to hit the interchange sweeper. There's a car in the inside lane so we both take the outside lane and we're off! I'm immediately right on his tail as we take the interchange, he's pushing it pretty hard but not hard enough to get away from me and I've even got some left in reserve. The turn flattens out and he still can't lose me, he's going full out now straight ahead and I'm right on his tail, he's not pulling an inch on me, and then he makes a choice to go into the right lane which is clear, while I slow down to merge into the left lane. I caught up with him a bit further down but we didn't have another opportunity, so I smiled and nodded at him, he did the same to me. I'm not under any delusions about the STi's performance, given equal drivers an STI would waste a Legacy. But in this case I think my years of track driving and my level of comfort with the Legacy's handling abilities prevailed. Once I had a head of steam built up through that turn he couldn't lose me even in a straight line. Pretty cool. :)

Archived