LegacyGT.com

XMT Swirl Removal Products..any opinions

I was looking into purchasing another round of products to detail with.

I was using Wolfgang before and I will continue to use their sealant and pre wax enhancer. As for the abrasive products I was looking into the Pinnacle XMT series and wondering if anyoy has tried them

Not sure which ones I need at this point there is a

XMT #4 Heavy Swirls Remover

XMT #3 Intermediate Swirl Remover

XMT #2 Fine Swirl Remover

XMT #1 Ultra Fine Swirl Remover

my paint is pretty good but I do have some orange peel from a repainted bumber a year or so ago. I was wondering if a #3 or #4 would be able to get out orange peel? I know it should probably be wet sanded but if this would work I would feel more comfortable doing it this way.

Also for regular detailing I know you don't need a #4 so the question is do I buy just #2 and #1 or should I buy #3 and #1?

I guess the detailing order would be something like:

Wash

Clay

Wash

XMT#2 or #3

XMT#1

Wolfgang pre wax enhancer

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant

Thoughts?

You can't polish out orange peel very well. You can use whatever polish you want and the orange peel would remain because the problem probably isn't on the surface. Most orange peel is in the color coat under the clear.

If you are using a PC, which is what the XMT products were designed for, then I would suggest XMT2 and then XMT1. That should take care of most of your problems. Try XMT1 first and see if that removes the swirls without the need for the more agressive product. Use a softer polishing pad so that you don't haze the surface with that and the XMT1 may very well do the trick. If you need a little more cutting then XMT2 would be the one I would go to. Never use a canon to kill a mosquito, so start with XMT1 to determine how serious your swirls really are. When working with a new product it is important to learn what each level is capable of since there isn't really a standard for the number system. A level 2 product isn't the same across the board unfortunately.

I really like the XMT line though. TransAm pictures by Jngrbrdman - Photobucket It really does a great job if you use it right. I'm not sure if the haze that was caused after XMT2 was because of the polish or the pad. I haven't had that problem since, so it also could have been because of the paint. I stick with the Edge 2000 blue pad for most of my polishing these days. It seems to do the trick in most cases and doesn't leave a haze with most products.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried the Swirl Remover #2 then Wolfgang Pre Wax Enhancer then Wolfgang Sealant

Overall I wasn't too impressed with the swirl remover. Yes it did take out some stuff but I think it actually added other scratches to the car. Maybe they were already there but when I got close and shined the light on it there was another large scratch that wasn't there before.

Plus it takes about 2-3 minutes with the PC on 5 or higher in one spot to even remove a scratch/swirl. To do a whole car (that is in GREAT shape already) would probably take close to 5 hours.

I was using the green pad with a PC.

So im not so sure I like these products.

The green pad is probably a little too agressive. The blue one is what I use to remove swirls with.

I don't know that 'scratches' is what you should be seeing. No polish will cause scratches if used properly. They might cause some hazing, but that would never be mistaken for scratching. Haze would be kind of like a cloudy halo around lights. That is why you would step down from XMT2 to XMT1. If there are scratches appearing after you polish then it is likely something else. The Legacy paint is soft enough that you might have just looked at it wrong and caused it. :lol:

From my experience with polishes I really think the XMT products are top notch. I've been using them all year on various cars and colors and they have always performed like a champ. I'm confused why you are having problems. I guess my only suggestion is that you use the blue pad instead of the green one. Unless you are removing serious swirls and oxidation I think the blue pad is more than capable of handling most issues.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah i am not sure but it was a big sweeping scratch kinda like the outline of half a football. It was on the front of the hood. I could have been a microscopic piece of dirt in my microfiber towel, who knows. It was just frustrating b/c I would shine the light on it and nope still there, 2 more min, shine light, nope still there etc

Also the stupid adaptor bit for the edge pads broke on me. All three of the little ball bearings that are in there to hold the pad in place fell out. What a piece of junk. I have only used that think lik 4 times too. I removed the pad and they all scattered all over the floor. Now I have to spend another $17 and $9 of shipping to get a new one that probably costs $2 to make and $1 to ship

That sounds like a defective adapter. I would contact Aaron at http://www.dedicationtodetail.com and tell him about it. I'm sure he will correct it. Defects happen in every product. My experience with the Legacy GT is a good example of that. Aaron is good people and he'll make it right. I've been participating in detailing forums where many detailers are using the Edge system for years and I've never heard of one failing like that. Just look at it as a fluke.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Aaron is the president of the company. When I had an issue with some Edge pads a couple months ago, all I had to do was send him an email and I had three new pads in the mail the next day. They are very commited to quality over there. He'll make it right.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived