goBlue

HID Color for Satin White Pearl Legacy sedan  

84 members have voted

1. 1. HID Color for Satin White Pearl Legacy sedan

• 4500 K
    • 5000 K
    • 6000 K
    • other (please specify)

bottom line is that the stock housings are nice for HID's but not Ideal.

The reason being for this is that the stock housings are designed for halogen bulbs and thus have a center focal point.

A HID housing is designed for Xenon bulbs and has a wide spread throughout the beam for maximum output.

You can get a full OEM bulb, ballast, harness, and Rx330 non-afs projector's for around $350 to $400 and they are a minimal modification and direct bolton to the stock housing locations.

Read through my Retro and just see for yourself how easy it truely is.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is the AFS projector which is what you DO NOT want... you want a non-afs projector which will not have the motorized turning that the afs has.

i should have the brackets done wednesday or thursday, depends i gotta shoot a few peoples headshots, then finish it up

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

from other threads, DIY retrofits can run as low as $400, if you have someone do it, depending on who does it they can charge as much as $300 labor, (lookslikeanevo.. CHEAPER PLEASE!! :) ) I was priced about $600-800 from a guy on hidplanet with a 2-3 week turnaround, but.. again, if someone here does it, I have a feeling with a little pateince and the right parts, its probabll ynot HARD to do, especially in our lenses since they're already projectors and have optional hids in the land of options (japan)

yea i believe in asia, they have to make HID an option on a sedan like the Legacy. so that makes the OEM housings at least suitable for HID's, right? can i just get a normal HID kit now, and upgrade to retro fit later? :confused:

if you guys dont recommend the vendors that i listed, where should i get my OEM kit from? i looked on exonexpert.com, they want $450 for the Phillips kit, which is a little more than I'd like to spend on an HID kit now. do you think i can an OEM brand kit for about $200 with a good warranty?

OK i want everyone to know that the its not the buld that gived the blue hint. Its the way the lens in the projector splits the light up. you will get a hint of blue no matter what bulb you use, even with a regulart halogen bulb you get it, just not so much. I have 4300K in both my headlights anf my fog lights and they are perfect. I get the blue hint on the fringes of the light beam and i can see all the road in front of me. I had 6000K before and they blue shifted as they wore in. after awhile i couldnt see sh1t, and it looked like rice. Get 5000K or less and you will be happy.

well since you said that, i'm probably going to get 4500k for best light outpout and OEM look. having the ricer look on my legacy sedan is the last thing i'd ever want. ;) my friend did talk me into putting a set of ricer bulbs on my old car and i couldn't see sh1t, almost went into a ditch. :mad: but he still won't admit those nokya bulbs are pure crap today. :rolleyes:

Color of sunlight is 5250K if that helps.

4500K -> White, slight yellow tint, but has that sort of rainbow effect when driving towards someone, similar to that of OEM lexus, mb, bmw

5000K -> All white, maybe a ever so slight hint of blue from certain angles

6000K -> All white, with a hint of blue (These are my personal favorites and what I run on in my car.)

-1 HIDs. I installed an 4500k Apexcone kit & while it was nice for what it was, I was never satisfied with the color & illumination of the road.

Replaced it with some Osram 65W Rally bulbs & couldn't be happier...

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

having the ricer look on my legacy sedan is the last thing i'd ever want.

As long as you don't go above 6000w, you won't get the ricer look. I have 6000K and not one person has ever made in ricer comments towards me. Now, 8000K and 10000K is definitely going ricer (They are straight bluish/purple and have absolutely no output)

^ What color are those bulbs? just curious?
Osrams are halogens...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Color of sunlight is 5250K if that helps.

4500K -> White, slight yellow tint, but has that sort of rainbow effect when driving towards someone, similar to that of OEM lexus, mb, bmw

5000K -> All white, maybe a ever so slight hint of blue from certain angles

6000K -> All white, with a hint of blue (These are my personal favorites and what I run on in my car.)

surface temperature of the sun averages 5500k, but its not the color that is percieved by most people... kinda the reason why we, and everyone else that draws and colors the sun make it yellow...unless ya think that the sun that you see on a daily basis is pure white with a hint of blue...:spin:

the color of the sun that the eye see's is around 4000-4500k which is a stock halogen light bulbs color temp...reason behind closely mimicking the sun was because studies showed that the average persons eye doesnt tire as fast when looking at or into that light temperature...

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

i made up my mind and got the apexcone 5000k with lifetime warranty for 155 shipped... hopefully i wont regret not gettin 6000k :)

where did you order yours for $155 with lifetime warranty? apexcone sounds like a pretty reputable name, i've heard of it before. can anyone comment on the appearance and reliability of apexcones?

also i was driving home tonight thinking stock halogens are bright enough for normal driving and you guys' comments about retro fit. is there actually any cons of installing HID's without doing a complete retro fit besides possibly blinding oncoming drivers? i.e. light not evenly spread out :rolleyes:

heres a pic of 5000k

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1306/dtla34mediumta7.jpg

looks good! :)

is that with stock housings or retro fit? do you feel that those are bright enough even in bad weather?

halogens have color too. i used to have a set of PIAAs that were 4000k.
They do, but they're not usually clearly rated. I dunno what they are, but I would guess around 4k.

I will admit that having 6000K sucks in the rain. There are times where I wished I would have gone with 5000K

i think i've narrowed down my choices down to 4500 and 5000k. 4500k is supposed to have 100 more Lumens than 5000k, a little brighter i guess. real tough choice...pics of the two would be nice here. :)

unless the 50-watt kits are significantly better, i think i'll be getting the 35-watt kit since most people in the other thread went with that. our stock wiring should hold up with the 35-watt kit, right? i think the stock halogens use 35 watts too? :confused:

my avatar is of a mcculloch 5300k kit. I think you made the right choice with your color temp.

imo 6k is too LOOK AT ME IM BLUUUUUUEEEEEEEE :p I wanted light output and I definatley got that from the kit I used. The problem is when something goes wrong on a kit thats drop in stock halogen housing, you dont really know where to troubleshoot. I took mine out cos of that reason but man do I hate the crappy yellow halogens I have now.. and they're even silverstars..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

so did you ever figure out what went wrong with your kit? sorry to heat that man.

i dont think our stock halogens are that yellowish, especially compared to other stock halogens. but hid's should be a big improvement.

i think i've narrowed down my choices down to 4500 and 5000k. 4500k is supposed to have 100 more Lumens than 5000k, a little brighter i guess. real tough choice...pics of the two would be nice here. :)

unless the 50-watt kits are significantly better, i think i'll be getting the 35-watt kit since most people in the other thread went with that. our stock wiring should hold up with the 35-watt kit, right? i think the stock halogens use 35 watts too? :confused:

Pictures from camera's are deceiving. One should see the light in person to decide what color you like better. I personally like the slight hint of blue for aesthetic reasons in 6K.

But if you are just concerned with light output and not the color then you would probably want the 4500K

Archived