LegacyGT.com

HELP rear toe at .32* after springs

AdamRmr

2006 legacy Gt with tein h tec springs ".9" drop" alignment was done with 18x7.5 wheels.

after alignment

actual

Front:left

camber -.o4*

caster 5.5*

toe -.01*

FRont:right

camber -.o6*

caster 5.5*

toe -.00

Now for the rear the

Right

Camber -.08

toe .29

Left

camber -.07

toe .32:confused:

Was told that they could not adjust the toe because the bolt was not moving?

any one have a pic of what needs to be moved to adjust the toe?

Is this a reputable shop? Try another one.

To adjust the rear toe, you need to turn the toe adjustment bolts. You can see them. Go behind the car and get down on your hands and knees. To the left and right of the differential will be a bolt with what appears to be a giant washer under it. It will be gold colored. The washer is welded onto the bolt head and has hash marks on it. This bolt is locked in place with a nut on the other side.

It's possible that the eccentric bolt may be maxed out. You might be able to get some more toe if you loosen the toe nut and pry on the linkage. When prying on it, the toe will move a bit, and you'd have to tighten the nut up. I don't think that it will move enough to get your toe within green(within specs) though.

It does look like the person didn't know how to align it. Because both toes in the rear are out(.29 and .32). This is 100% speculation though. I'd find a place around you that knows how to align Subaru's.

drill some of that slot out for the bolt, it should be able to come closer than that.. .2 and .3 is way too much toe.. did you happen to hit something along the way? curb rash?

look at the other end of the lateral arm and see if you can get some play out of the other end of the lateral arm. Sounds like something else isn't sitting correctly..

Keefe

actually, after reading your readouts for the rear.. it looks like you could have transposed the numbers..

the rear isnt suppose to have that little bit of camber, it should be way closer to -1 degree (factory is already at -0.5 to -1.0 degrees). On my GT lowered with coilvers, I have -1.40 degrees and that's with a 2" drop.

Check your readout again, sounds like it could have been an easy mis-reading of the printout.

Keefe

I see whats going on..

Around the toe adjustment bolt is the gold washer that pushes out/in along the sides. The guy at the alignment shop couldnt get the toe , because the gold washer is not on the side of the wall its on the top ,causing the washer not to pull/push where the tire needs to be.

How can this be fixed?

attached is a photo from my cell

toebolt.jpg.d03586dd81b8897cc9f8dbc01dde89cd.jpg

I don't see the problem. That's how it looks like.

Do not try to wrench on this head until after you loosen the nut. On the back side of this is a nut. Loosen the nut, then the head can turn. That's how you adjust the toe-in.

The washer is welded to the head.

I think that's how it looks like.

The washer I believe is just an indicator. The actual adjustment is via a cam washer on the far side. The cam washer has flats on it that bear against flats on the bolt.

Attached is a picture of the far side of the bolt. The washer is borked.

This is what happens if you try to turn the head without loosening the nut. The flats are very easy to "round". Once they are rounded, you can not adjust the toe-in anymore.

My guess is that the mechanic saw the head and used his impact wrench on it thus rounding the washer. Once the washer was rounded, he could no longer adjust the toe.

The washer is like $1 but if you walk in the dealership, they will charge you like $5.

IMG_6836.JPG.82d5608de87ca7fcdb23b644bdcd6ad7.JPG

Is this a good shop? On a car that hasn't been damaged, I think you can get closer to zero than that for toe.

I ask if it's a good shop because the toe-in washer is damaged by mechanics. It's not damaged by use.

Archived