LegacyGT.com

BMW 335i coupe vs Infinity G37

Anybody see the comparo test in Motor Trend on these two cars? The Infinity actually won the comparo. If I could, I'd cash in the LGT in a NY second for the Bimmer, but this Infinity really kicks ass for about 11K less.

Infinitys seem to have surpased Lexus in the standard of entry level luxury. The only advantage the 335i is turbocharged, probably easier to mod and get some extra power than the VQ motor in the G37.

If you get a chance, read it. Very interesting.

Guarantee C&D (which I read/trust the most) will find the BMW in first :)

I have read a ton on the G37 and it just doesn't seem to be much of a step up (if any) over the current G35 coupe.

Oh, and the recent car and drive talked about it, it did 0-60 in 5.3. Depressing. Also, they said that the 335i coupe is the best performance bargain on the market right now. It actually beat the /M coupe around the track that they took the cars on in the article.

I would take the 335i coupe way ahead of the infinity.

Also, were did you get the idea that infinity surpassed lexus? I would think that lexus has a higher luxury brand image than infinity, but that is me. The biggest gripe magazines have one the new G35 sedan and the G37 coupe is its terrible use of plastics and other "non luxury" items.

But for the money, it would be hard to pass up the G37.

^^^^^ Funny you say that. I thought for sure the BMW was going to win, but then I realized the cover said Motor Trend, not Car&Driver, LOL.

The Bimmer would be my first choice, but the price diff is considerable.

As for the Lexus, I agree they are probably more luxurious. I like the new I series, but it is almost impossible to distinguish one from a GS from the back. Don't get me wrong, I love the Lexus. But around here, Infiniti's out number them 4 to 1.

not with the motor but there were problems with the fuel pumps but they switched manufactures and then there was an issue with overheated because they cheaped out on oil coolers. that seems to have been fixed. the engine actually won the international engine of the year. both great cars imho

Personally, I like the G35 coupe more than the G37, but the new G35/37 sedan is nicer than the old sedan.

The comparison between the Infiniti and the BMW is more difficult than it would seem on the surface. For pure performance, the 335i is a clear winner. On top of that, a few tuners already have chips that add 30-50HP at the crank on top of BMW's estimated 300HP which could be a little underrated. As more R&D is performed on the BMW, I can see Stage II/III kits adding 100+HP. FI kits for the VQ engine are very expensive and don't increase the HP very much compared to the cost of the kit.

On the flip side, the G37 is a lot less expensive, more reliable than the BMW and a lot less expensive to own long term or as a used purchase. If money is not a limiting factor, it would be the BMW all the way, but it's far from being a performance bargain.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 335xi or 535xi sedan in my driveway in a few years, but, realistically, probably not, especially if a H6 TT shows up in a Legacy STi in a few years. :) To be honest, if my LGT was totally today, you would either see a Dodge Magmun RT AWD or a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 replacing it.

The 335i = very nice but $45k = a little pricey.

The G37 = Nice $37-39 K with the works = good stuff

The upcoming 135i 300# lighter than the 335i and 35 K nicely optioned

faster than both and 30 -70 HP a chip away .... may be my next car

Guest JessterCPA

Two magazines picked teh BMW. One picked the Infiniti.

If you factor price into it, the Infiniti becomes a competitor. If you do not consider price, there really is no comparison.

Jesse

I'm down with chipping and modding a $25,000 Legacy GT with parts that are more or less interchangeable (or at least familiar) throughout the turbocharged Subaru line and are reasonably priced. But, as appealing and simple as the Vishnu mods sound, there is no way I would mod and blow my warranty on a $50,000 BMW, particularly one that already has oil temperature and fuel pump problems.

What appeals to me about the G37S is that it comes pretty close to matching the 335i in all of the performance categories. It's at the limits where the 335i gets some separation from the G. But, I don't launch and I don't track, so the limits aren't that important to me. What is appealing to me is the more attractive interior, the 9 gb hard drive, the better nav interface, the iPod connection, that you'll probably be able to get in a G Sport for less than the cost of a bare bones 335i.

Archived