LegacyGT.com

Who comes up with these Stage charts??

When I had my Z an intake and UD pulley was Stage 1. When I had my S4 an ECU upgrade was an automatic jump to Stage 2. What would just an intake on the Legacy be??? How about intake and exhaust?

Jedimaster did.

He also runs the SOA website.

Just an intake is nothing

stage 1 = tune

stage 2 = tune + up pipe/down pipe (minimum)

stage 3 = dyno tune/e tune, UP/DP, full exhaust and turbo upgrade

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Unlike the Z32, in which the intake system seem like an afterthought by Nissan, Subaru actually did a pretty good job with designing the stock intake. A CAI will not gain any power for the LGT and might actually give you some headaches.

I'm going to buy the SPT intake and heat shield along with a new exhaust. They claim on a WRX the gains are big with that combo. Who knows with the LGT.

It's your money and your car... Do as you wish.

I'm going to buy the SPT intake and heat shield along with a new exhaust. They claim on a WRX the gains are big with that combo. Who knows with the LGT.

I downloaded a .pdf from Cobbforums that had extensive testing of the SPT intake. Unfortunately, I cannot find the link to send to you right now, but here are a couple snippets from it:

<snip>

Is the SPT or any aftermarket intake even necessary?

The short answer is NO. We found that the stock LGT intake system is a thoroughly engineered system that does not restrict the vehicles performance at all, even up to a Stage2 level. The final portion of our testing helped us determine if an aftermarket intake is even necessary on a stock, Stage1, or Stage2 Legacy GT. We were able to determine this by measuring and recording the amount of vacuum generated between the stock intake housing and the turbo compressor inlet. These tests were performed at WOT in 3rd gear, which is a condition that should generate the most amount of vacuum in the turbo inlet tube.

Please take into account that the size of the MAF housing on the stock Legacy GT is the largest one Subaru has ever used on a USDM turbo-charged vehicle, it is even bigger than the stock STi MAF housing. One last part we wanted to write about was our driving impressions with the SPT intake system. We found that the vehicle became more hesitant while running the SPT intake system; you could feel the ECM removing timing. The vehicle also felt slower (which our dyno tests showed as well) while driving with the SPT intake system.

In conclusion, our test results demonstrated that one would have no reason to run any intake system other than the stock intake system on a 2005+ Legacy GT (up to a Stage2 level). We hope this information helps you make a better decision when choosing performance hardware for you Legacy GT.

<snip>

Hope this helps -- Cobb seemed to have a lot of data showing the intake was useless. But I believe they also weren't using a heatshield in the testing...

The stock intake plumbing to me on the LGT seems complicated. I was going to get the SPT heatshield in conjunction with the SPT intake. Also I can understand what they mean. On my 2001 S4 the stock intake was superior to any aftermarket intake due to the fact the the snorkel took air right from behind the grill. In the S4 Engine bay there is a lot of heat and little space and an aftermarket "CAI" would just be sucking in all the engine heat.

AHEM!!!!

TDC tuned in 14-24 extra WHP with the SPT.

With or without heatshield?

I'm sure some of these tests (as stated above) are without a heat shield. I would think it really would make all the difference.

Who is the guru of stages on the LGT?

Somewhere in Nepal, there is a Buddist monk with a 2005 LGT 5MT (for craps sake, it's the mountains!) by the name of Bruce Willis who is slowly modding his car via the power of AVO. He is the source of all stage knowledge. You can quote me.

Link to dyno please ;)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49554

Not sure if this is what he means but here is the thread about the AEM intake. They got 13 whp over stock box and 10 whp over SPT with a tune, which would imply the SPT is only good for 3 whp... Keep in mind this is with stage 2+ hardware already. Stock + SPT intake, or any intake for that mater, would probably net you next to nothing especially without a tune.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49554

Not sure if this is what he means but here is the thread about the AEM intake. They got 13 whp over stock box and 10 whp over SPT with a tune, which would imply the SPT is only good for 3 whp... Keep in mind this is with stage 2+ hardware already. Stock + SPT intake, or any intake for that mater, would probably net you next to nothing especially without a tune.

I know they had gains with the AEM, and to a lesser extent with the K&N, but never heard anything good about the SPT, thus the question.

'Stages' are arbitrary and lack real meaning. They should only be used in the context of a specific manufacture. 'Stages' are different from vehicle to vehicle and manufacturer to manufacture. Stage 1 from company x on car a is NOT necessarily the same or even close to the same list of major parts / work as Stage 1 from company y on car b...

Archived