LegacyGT.com

D@mn it!!

Well - my 4th of July holiday was going pretty well until Thursday morning... I was driving on I-283 in central PA when a rock from the dump truck in front me decided to jump off...Even though he was a good 50' in front of of me, it still manage to get a good lick off of my hood. It not only chipped it (down to the bare metal), it also put a dent about 3" long by 1-1/2" wide :mad:. I'm getting my insurance involved - my question is (1.) would they need to replace the whole hood since it's made from aluminium. I read that's the case for Jaguar and Audi - and the body shop would not be able to "knock" it out. (2.) What should I do in the mean time to protect the "wound" until the insurance people looked at it? should I put some wax on it??

Any other comments or suggestions? thanks...

p.s. Anyone know a good body shop near Newport News, VA ??

The owner of the truck will have to replace the hood if the dent can't be fixed.

I have seen similar dents popped out of a legacy hood before.

Newport news huh?

I'll be in your area next week... I love va beach!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Aluminum won't rust so I wouldn't worry about ptotecting it. Your insurance company might be able to refer you to a body shop that does aluminum work. A good shop will warrant their repair (including paint match) for as long as you own the car, so don't settle for anything less. My insurance company also guarantees my lifetime satisfaction with the repair if I go with a body shop they recommend.
It is still ugly.

The owner of the truck will have to replace the hood if the dent can't be fixed.

I have seen similar dents popped out of a legacy hood before.

Newport news huh?

I'll be in your area next week... I love va beach!

Not much chance of getting the truck owner to pay, even if he can identify the truck.

Make sure you stop by at "The Grate Steak" while you are there, best steakhouse going.

I'll take the heat for not remembering the trucking company.It didn't sound loud at all - first I thought it was tire shred from the road that got kicked up (since it looked black & blurry)...

Archived