LegacyGT.com

EVO vs. M3 video

Thanks for the link. This has been making the rounds for quite a while in the M3 Forums. The EVO gets owned pretty much from the word go. Cant believe what that guy says to the M3 driver. Should have known as soon as they mentioned it was an M5 and not an M3 at the start how things would have ended up. Ahhh great to see an EVO get served...... by the way WHAT RAIN ?????????????? Adam.

Yeah, I didn't see the rain, but the EVO driver says "It's starting to rain now." So I guess it was a light drizzle, fo shizzle. This is why I am a big proponent for badge switching- imagine what would have happened if the M3 driver put a 325Ci badge on the rear. Team EVO would have been in for quite a shock to get smoked by a 325Ci.

[quote name='il collaudatore']Yeah, I didn't see the rain, but the EVO driver says "It's starting to rain now." So I guess it was a light drizzle, fo shizzle. This is why I am a big proponent for badge switching- imagine what would have happened if the M3 driver put a 325Ci badge on the rear. Team EVO would have been in for quite a shock to get smoked by a 325Ci.[/QUOTE] the kid could've been driving an LGT, and i would still laugh at him. the kid's a douche bag to think that he could've taken that M3. i love the dumbass question his friend asked...'is that M3 all wheel drive?' it was gratifying watching that no talent ass clown get his ass handed to him. mwahahahaha

[quote name='Helfrick']I nominate the EVO driver for douche of the month. The first thing out of his mouth when he pulled up to the M3 was "come on faggot". He got real quiet after that though.[/QUOTE] as soon as he made that comment, i knew he was going to eat his own words. it was just a matter of time before the glory of him getting bmwowned would be afoot:p

[quote name='il collaudatore']Yeah, I didn't see the rain, but the EVO driver says "It's starting to rain now." So I guess it was a light drizzle, fo shizzle. This is why I am a big proponent for badge switching- imagine what would have happened if the M3 driver put a 325Ci badge on the rear. Team EVO would have been in for quite a shock to get smoked by a 325Ci.[/QUOTE] i agree i was thinking of ripping of the GT and putting on an i insted.

[quote name='gurpman']I didn't know an M3 was that much faster than an evo. Think the M3 was stock? To smoke an evo and do it in comfort and style, that's gotta be nice.[/QUOTE] the M3 is packing 330hp out the gate, rwd, with a 6 spd gear box. it doesnt have the parasitic drivetrain power loss the evo suffers with awd, and because of that, it moves like stink off the line. with awd you cant punch it like you want to compared to a rwd car, due to the stress the awd system is under during full load. but of course, someone can correct me if what i just said is wrong.

[quote name='Colonel Angus']the M3 is packing 330hp out the gate, rwd, with a 6 spd gear box. it doesnt have the parasitic drivetrain power loss the evo suffers with awd, and because of that, it moves like stink off the line. with awd you cant punch it like you want to compared to a rwd car, due to the stress the awd system is under during full load. but of course, someone can correct me if what i just said is wrong.[/QUOTE]Yeah but the M3 only has around 260 ft-lbs of torque, and the evo has the weight advantage. Road and Track tested both of them in 2003 -- 1/4 mile times were M3 13.5 and evo 13.4. So I assumed they were pretty close stock for stock. The way that M3 blew past the evo in the vid, unreal!

That M3 couldn't of been stock. The EVO barely got a car length jump on him, and by 2nd gear the M3 was up alongside and walking away. By third the BMW had pulled a couple car lengths already. M3's are fast, but with a bit of "drizzle" on the road, the EVO should of been able to jump quite a bit, and then hold off a stock M3 for a good 1/4 mile. Again, I'd say 99% chance that M3 was NOT stock. Sounds like the EVO had at least a BOV on too The EVO driver's friend was a moron having to ask if an M3 is AWD or not. Sad. Edit: I read that the M3 had a Dinan Stage 1 software upgrade. Not sure what kind of performance gains that brings, but based on the results of the race, i'd say it did pretty well, a stock M3 shouldn't pull on a EVO (especially one with some minor mods) that easily, and not that quickly!

More info: Since that M3 walked away quite easily from that lightly modded EVO, I wanted to know what kind of power gains, this "Dinan Stage 1" M3 had. According to Dinan's website for $7400 you get, among some suspension and other upgrades, these power upgrades: Engine Software Intake/Air Mass Meter Free Flow Exhaust High flow throttle bodies. Dinan puts it's power at: 361 hp @ 7900 rpm 282 tq @ 5000 rpm's Dinan also offers a 3.91 gear ratio switch for $2,400. Apparently this allows the M3 to hit 60 in 2nd gear and not 3rd like stock. He says when it comes to acceleration, this offers the most bang for the buck. Based on the way that M3 disposed of the EVO, the guy in the video might of had this too.

I made a mistake. I thought the M3 driver had Dinan's Signature Series Stage 1. That is the $7,400 for the power increase. Dinan also sells just a Stage 1 Software upgrade. This is what he had. Dinan admits it give the M3 NO more power, just deletes the governor, increases the rev limit just a bit, and makes the drive by wire throttle more responsive. I found the original post by the owner/driver of the M3. His car was a 2003 and it was the SMG car. He launched in Sport Mode 5 but because of the slight drizzle, he left traction control on and just eased the throttle down moderately fast. He said he went up to 120 mph then shut down. But he was up alongside the EVO by midway through 2nd (probably 50ish mph) and pulled away hard from there. So I'd guess the EVO driver AND passenger must of added quite a bit more weight than just the M3 driver alone. Plus, maybe that BOV and whatever actually hurt the EVO's performance. The M3 SMG runs 13.4-13.5 at 105-107 in the 1/4 With a perfect launch and no added weight from a friend, the EVO would run mid 13's 1/4 at 101+ But without a perfect clutch abusing launch the EVO will be lucky to do high 13's @ 98 mph. With a friend and all, that guy would of been lucky to have run a low 14 @ 95 mph in that race. The M3 driver is a no brainer, just push the pedal down hard and hit and go. He probably easily knocked off a high 13's at 105 mph run in the first 1/4 mile of that race.

Archived