LegacyGT.com

Add Adjustable/Variable Control to Intermittent Wipers on '00 Outback

rubberman

I have a '00 Outback that I would like to swap the wiper adjustment stalk on the steering wheel so that I will have adjustable variable intermittent wipers instead of the simple on/intermittent settings that I have now. I know that I found a post on a Subie site that detailed what needed to be changed and the actual Subaru part number for the stalk assembly, I have searched here, SubaruOutback.org, NASIOC, scoobymods, etc and google and I can't find anything relating to this mod. I searched for: legacy adjustable wiper, intermittent wiper, windshield wiper, wiper and everything in between with Outback thrown in as well and nothing shows up. I'm beginning to think that the post I found was a victim of a site crash and was lost, perhaps on NASIOC several months ago.

Later model Legacy Outback Limited's (01-03) apparently had the adjustable wiper control that I would like to add. The part was about $125 if I remember correctly and was simply pulling the steering wheel and replacing the stalk assembly/unit. I can investigate some on my own if I can confirm what similar model years had the adjustable wiper control, but it would be nice to find that post again for some confirmation.

Any info on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the details for anyone that might attempt this in the future:

Using a WRX wiper module being added to an RS and some feedback from Limited model owners, I was able to find several part number references for the variable intermittent wiper control:

Sedan 83114AE110 (No rear wiper control on the stalk)

Wagon 83114AE130 which is replaced by 83114AE170 (Rear wiper control on stalk)

I also found the original thread on NASIOC that started all of this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559808

Why it never showed up in any searches using the forum search or google I don't know...

The bottom of the post has this per Byron B:

"Intermittent swap for 2000 Legacy OB Wagon

I just did this upgrade to my 2000 Legacy Outback Wagon and now happily have variable intermittent wipers going into the misty Northern California coast winter.

I installed part# 83114AE130 on my wagon"

So there's my part number confirmation. Dropping this into the part search function at subaruparts.com, this p/n was replaced by part "170" per subaruparts.com, so I ordered part 83114AE170 for $94+shipping.

Update:

The new #170 part arrived. Swap took a whole 5 minutes which included grabbing a screwdriver from the toolbox. Success, variable intermittent front wipers!

Remove 1 screw from bottom of steering column. Release steering tilt lever (unlock/push it down), then the bottom plastic cover can come off. Look at the steering column from below, remove two screws that hold the top plastic cover in place and move the cover around a little (only needs to be out of the way of wiper module). Two screws hold the front wiper assy/module in place, pull the assy, remove electrical connector. Put part #170 back in.

Even got to test the mod since it started raining right after I finished.

Archived