LegacyGT.com

Stock axle back...

So i've searched and read umpteen million posts and have yet to hear what i want to know. I have a Borla knockoff header and a test pipe (no cat) and want to run my stock muflfer to try to keep the noise down. I know i'll be sacrificing performance but comfort is more important. Car is an 04 legacy limited.

Has anyone tried this?

What kind of sound level should i expect?

I'm inches away from buying the SPT axleback as i hear it has a reletively low noise level.

Any help appreciated.

ok, so let's get this straight, you went out and purchased performance headers, and a test pipe for sound or for the performance? You mentioned you didn't want your exhaust to be too loud, and you also said that comfortablility is more important then performance, so what exactly are you going for here? Sounds to be like you need to rethink your approach on modifiying... :confused:

Sounds to be like you need to rethink your approach on modifiying... :confused:

How do you figure? My approach is simply that while i crave a bit more power to the ground, I'm not willing to sacrifice the comfort kevel associated with a loud exhaust system.

Obviously the header and cat removal are for flow. These are the most restrictive pieces of the exhaust system. Without a doubt, the cat removal and addition of the header will produce more power. Small amouts, most likely but thats the case regardless of the muffler i use.

The post clearly states: Has anyone tried this?

What kind of sound level should i expect?

Thats what i'm looking for.

Header and catless midpipe will produce better flow, but will make the car loud and raspy sounding. I have the SPT axleback with an STi midpipe and the sound is at a very comfortable level and I still hear the boxer burble (I'm planning on replacing the midpipe with a Stomung for better fit). I have a baby so a quiet exhaust was a must. I have contemplated trying to get more performance out of the exhaust and have posted on other forums about this and the consensus is that the exhaust will get louder with headers and/or a hi-flow cat, and even louder without a cat.

I ended up getting a lightened crank pulley and Green performance air filter for enhancements. Don't think it adds power, but car revs more freely with the new pulley.

BTW, I did have an STi axleback modded to fit my car, but it droned way too much for my liking and that's when I bought the SPT.

I have the SPT axleback with an STi midpipe and the sound is at a very comfortable level and I still hear the boxer burble

Thats what i was looking for ;)

I installed the Header and Test Pipe i built with an 16" high flow resonator and the sound is quite nice. I can deffenitely hear it in the car, but not like my Volvo or VW's open systems. The sound is not a low droaning like i was dreading :) . There is no raspyness what so ever. The muffler does sound like its trying too hard to expell the gasses, but it doesn't sound bad by any means.

I installed a Perrin Ligtweight pulley and cold air intake tonight as well so i will G-tech it tomorrow to see ifit shows any gains :rolleyes: .

I did however modify the CAI a bit. I am using a modified VW airbox with a panel K&N to quiet it down a bit and keep the water out. My Volvo was subject to a flood so i'm a little sketchy. If it shows any improvement and i keep it in, i will get a few pics up incase anyone cares.

Archived