LegacyGT.com

Rotor life

turbobum

How much life can I expect from OEM rotors?

I've got 20k miles on my OEM rotors with about 250 miles at the track (braking from 120 to around 50 after the strait, every lap - surprisingly the stock pads held up well, they felt like ****, but had minimal fade)

Where's the best place to get replacements? :confused: The OEM ones seem to work fine for me. The pads on the other hand...will have to be replaced with a set offering better feel.

Carbotech seem like a good pad. Though, the Hawk HPS seem more popular. Maybe cause they're cheaper.

I'm thinking use the Hawk HPS for the street, and get a set of Carbotechs for the track.

Should I use the same rotor for both? Or get a set of rotors for track use?

I believe it was Eric from brake swap who said you could just bed them in good when you swap pads and you'll be ok...some manufactures say you have to "resurface" the rotors, etc., but that may be over cautious. I'm sure all these guys swapping pads for the track don't change rotors.

Sure, just take off the tire and use a caliper (or micrometer) to measure the thickness. Note that often the outer and inner edges of the rotor don't see wear (because pad doesn't hit those areas) so measuring the very outer edge may give you incorrect readings (e.g. with a caliper) A "micrometer" clamped about a half inch from the outer edge should be accurate. You may have to bend the dust/splash guard to get access to the disk (can't remember if there's a good spot with the calipers on).

You should get alot more life out of them yet.

I'm at 75,000 miles on the original rotors, with numerous track days to boot, I should start looking at new ones soon, but why change them if they work fine ?

How many times have they been resurfaced?

Denial is your best friend

I haven't turned mine so far, I've still got the stock pads, but two days at the track pretty much used them up. I'm in the process of getting new pads. Seems like Hawk HPS are the way to go for street use, and Carbotech for at the track. I'm just a little unsure about the rotors. The OEM ones seem to do a great job.

I just got mine turned at 30K miles. That sucks! My old Mazda 626 didn't even need brake service until 105K miles and they just changed the pads. The dealer service manager said Subaru was using a lighter rotor to save weight and that's why they're needing service so soon.

Archived