LegacyGT.com

Best place to buy an extended warranty?

So I'm looking to see if anyone has purchased an extended warranty and where they might have gotten a good deal. I know that on my previous car (chrysler) there were several places dealing well under the msrp for them, so shopping around saved (and out of state saved on sales tax!)

I would really just prefer to be able to extend the power train warranty from 5/60 to 6 or 7/100. However, I could only find the classic and gold plans. I really don't care about the other stuff, it's the powertrain I want covered.

I saw a post about about a Stacy Suby in VT that had offered discounts, and will call them next week. The stock price for a 6/100 is $1282 for $100 ded., but it also mentions a surcharge for turbo (I think it's $250. I saw it somewhere but not positive).

Anyone that knows of any, I would be very greatful :) Also, any dealers here want to chime in as well perhaps? :-D

btw - as to the rational for getting ext. warranties, that I don't need to go over. I am well aware of the statisctics and other reasons for pricing and such. Since I am currently on my 4th turbo and 2nd engine at 27k miles (they replaced the entire short block, valves/springs and machined the heads) it's really not a bad idea to have some extra coverage..... :)

Make sure you read the fine print when are you considering a warranty. The previous owner of my car paid $900 for a 7yr/100k warranty, and after I read the booklet, it seems the ONLY thing covered is premature engine and transmission failure...NOTHING else.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

talk to graysonsubaru here on the forum. he works for a dealer in TN and his finance dept has sold a bunch of extended warranties for $100 over cost.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12093&highlight=added+security

the above thread lists everything that you need to know about subaru's extended plans.

i have the $0 deductible, 6yr/100k Gold plus plan (paid $1290, IIRC) and it came in handy and paid for itself three times already. in my case, it was worth it - it is all case dependent.

i would stick with subaru plans only - third party plans are never as good as promised.

As for the plans - I am well aware from past experiences to stick with the manuf. warranties ;) However, I just wished there was a less comprehensive warranty for less $$, that's all.

Thanks to both of you - tytek and wrx_lgt - I pm'd them both and will see what they can do.

The Subaru warranty for me was the way to go. Although I know I will never have a problem, if anything ever does go bad, they arent cheap to fix!

:whore: always buy your extended service contract from the vehicle manufacturer.

6/100k for $1290?!?! I'd jump all over that. Time to send some PM's. :)

Another question... do you have to get it in the initial 36k, or can you get it as long as you're still within the powertrain warranty which I think is up to 60k. The powertrain warranty covers most of the major stuff like the turbo etc.

6/100k for $1290?!?! I'd jump all over that. Time to send some PM's. :)

Another question... do you have to get it in the initial 36k, or can you get it as long as you're still within the powertrain warranty which I think is up to 60k. The powertrain warranty covers most of the major stuff like the turbo etc.

You do have to get it in the initial 3yrs, 36k miles. The powertrain warranty does not matter, since the new one is an extension of the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

The price I got was just $50 over cost, and I got it b/c they mistakenly sold me a $100 deductible plan, and offered to fix it and give me $50 back for the hassle. $1340 is still a great deal for a 6yr, 100k coverage and $0 ded...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it is a good deal, but I talked to my dealership last night. The owner's son said that he would offer any Legacy owner off of here a good deal. It is as follows:

It includes Subaru's gold package warranty

6 year/ 100k mile coverage

100 deductable

He will give it to any member for $1,000.

I'm not sure how this ranks according to other dealerships, but I figured that I would throw it up. I am looking for one myself, so I asked about extending it to others.

You can contact him at:

Subaru of O'Fallon, IL

866-657-3222

Ask for John Hanna II

I'm not sure if it is a good deal, but I talked to my dealership last night. The owner's son said that he would offer any Legacy owner off of here a good deal. It is as follows:

It includes Subaru's gold package warranty

6 year/ 100k mile coverage

0 deductable

He will give it to any member for $1,000.

I'm not sure how this ranks according to other dealerships, but I figured that I would throw it up. I am looking for one myself, so I asked about extending it to others.

You can contact him at:

Subaru of O'Fallon, IL

866-657-3222

Ask for John Hanna II

Looks as though he quoted a coverage for non turbo (N/A) motors... turbo cars carry a $250 premium. get it verified, but if it is really for turbo cars that it is below cost and is a effin steal!!!

Update:

I just talked to John and he is now saying that they will over the warranty for the same price as any other dealership The price quoted from before was for the non-turbo model. Essentially it would be $1000+$250 for the GT and Spec B models.

Archived