LegacyGT.com

Is It Bad To Downshift

Guest DJ Proez

Huh? When we get snow around here, engine braking is MUCH better than foot braking. I get more braking power since I don't lock up the wheels, it is distributed evenly front and rear.. I wass actually quite amazed at how much more control I have with my 5MT Outback vs my 4EAT Outback...

On another note, I frequently downshift to second gear from about 80Km/hr on the highway. :D Yes, I blip the throttle and with the hogzaust, it shounds mean as shit! :lol:

If you're driving in snow or other slippery conditions at a relative crawl, engine braking is a good way to keep it under control. But as a way to slow the car down on a daily basis in good road conditions, it's pretty wasteful of the clutch and drivetrain. Brakes are cheap and easily replaced. Clutches? Not so much! Have fun with it if you want but realize you will wear out your clutch sooner than if you didn't use it for slowing down.

No one is saying that you use engine braking to slow down instead of braking, but in conjuction with braking.

As the points I quoted from the driving school say, you should always be in the correct gear for the speed of the car, and you should never coast with the clutch down or in neutral.

If the pressure plate and the flywheel are spinning at the same speed when they engage, how will this wear take place ?

Archived