LegacyGT.com

Intake supercharger on ebay

I saw this itme on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Legacy-Intake-Supercharger-Turbo-Performance_W0QQitemZ170121840638QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33741QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I is a generic supercharger than can be used on any car.

1) I was wondering if anyone has tried it or if they have any comments?

2) I was also wondering if anyone else has removed the intake silencer on there 2.5i. I saw in the thread that many GT guys have done it. I removed mine and i am not sure if i like the sound, it gets annoying underlload in 3rd or 4th gear. Let me know what you think

It's definately a scam. It would probably reduce horspower, especially if the intake tube is bigger than 2.5 inches, because it would create a bottleneck and reduce air flow even more.

Well thanks for all your feedback. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts and much appreciated.

What do you guys thing of the silencer removal on a 2.5i? Has anyone done it? What do you think of the sound if you have?

Thanks, Adam

I read that thread on the AVO turbo Kit but, unless your warranty is expired you would be better off trading the 2.5i in on a GT. I wouldn;t mind doing that but since this is my wifes car she wouldn't justify me buying a GT. She thinks her car is plenty fast. I drive a 2006 f150 and i think it might be just as fast as the 2.5i. it does have an exhaust and intake but a car shold be faster than my truck. I will keep hunting for mods that fit the warranty. I must say the car is alot of fun to drive. it seems we allways take her car out now. I took it up in the mountains in colorado and it handles great i was hitting the corners way ober the posted spped limit with ease and i could have gone faster but my wife would have started pinching me. my dad has a corvette z06 and i feel more comfortable in the corners in my subaru then i do in his vette. the back end in that thing is slippery. even in 2nd and third gear at 60+ mph.

As pointed out above, this thing is a restrictor. Less air in, or at least the engine has to do more work to pump air in.

But is certainly is prettier than some of the others... And a bargain for Ti-Al alloy....

Re the resonator delete - The first time I did it, there did seem to be a tiny bit more grunt at the low end (I expected if anything it'd help the high end at the expense of low). Did not notice this the second time I did it, but maybe the STP filter I installed at the same time is actually more restrictive than the slightly dirty original. Bit of a low-frequency resonance, not entirely pleasant like the much more successful mod on our Tacoma (cut open airbox, K&N).

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Hmmm, airflow restriction = more HP, yeah, that's the ticket!! :spin:

I can't believe folks can keep their sites open with this kind of crap out there. If anything is almost entertaining to read their claims. I want one of them standing in front of my car on the dyno when it puts out less hp than stock...maybe the retraining straps might slip...;)

I removed my resonator, and it was a little obnoxious. However, I replaced it with some dryer hose down to the fog light hole (I also cut slits in the cover so it didn't look like I lost a part). This really mellowed out the tone, and I love the way it sounds at high RPM in 3rd and 4th now.

PS - I also have the e-bay intake pipe, and a high flow filter.

Yeah, this thing violates the 1st law of thermodynamics. You cannot gain energy in a system by putting a device onto your engine which does not contribute any energy of its own. For comparison, it's like driving around an electric car with a windmill on the top to generate electricity.... it doesn't work.

Actually, the way those blades are designed, I would think that they act more like the turbine side of a turbo charger on the exhaust side than the compressor on the intake side. The air would almost have to somewhat expand through those blades to turn them since there is no energy input to compress the air. I would think that the pressure is lower on the back half of that than the front....

Now if they were to make a ramjet sort of intake where the geometry of the intake and the forward motion of the vehicle compressed the air...that might prove to be beneficial....(kind of like the 'ram air' intake on the pontiacs)

There is a company that makes an electric supercharger that probably does actually work - it costs around $1700 though, and you'll want to set up a seriously strong electrical system to power it.

The electric motor itself makes 8hp, which demands a significant amount of electrical power. The thing is, it actually takes a significant amount of power to pump useful amounts of air at useful pressures. And it takes a big pump - the compressor they use looks an awful lot like a regular turbocharger compressor, because that's what it takes to generate useful pressure and flow. As others have said, a little plastic pinwheel isn't a compressor, it's an obstruction.

See http://www.boosthead.com/ and pick any random make/model you want. They actually only have one or two products. I think maybe just one. :)

^^^ I like this blurb in their 'FAQ'

A 'fish' symbol sometimes pops up when I enter your site. What does it mean?

A 'fish' was used by early Roman Christians as a secret sign in an era when being a Christian could cost you your life. A firm believer, Thomas "Geoff" Knight honors God and His son Jesus Christ by proudly displaying the 'fish' symbol on all company materials. If you would like to know more about Christianity, please contact Geoff at (786) 243-2000.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived