LegacyGT.com

Figured I'd get a local perspective

Moosedaddy

I posted this in another forum, but figured it would be good to get a local perspective...

The Air Bag Light on my wife's 2004 Forrester went off the other day. We brought the car to Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Gaithersburg, Maryland to check it out. They read code #41.

Bottom line? The PSAB connector is corroded on the passenger side airbag...on a 3 year old car...with less than 50,000 miles. And it's going to cost me $420 to fix!!! :mad: (They want to repair the connectors as well as the harnesses on both sides.)

Josh in service told my wife, "I've never seen this before on a car with so little mileage." 15 minutes later Josh told me, "This happens all the time. I've seen it on a car with just 4,000 miles."

This is ludicrous. We just had to get a new clutch on this same car about 8,000 miles ago. My wife is the primary driver, and has always driven standard transmission cars, so riding the clutch is not an issue. I am extremely frustrated by this lack of quality (and the potential disception of Josh the service guy).

So I am calling SOA. Anyone have any suggestions?

FWIW, I am a total noob when it comes to any sort of modding or work on the car. So I am not too keen on fixing anything related to a safety mechanism, especially when it affects my wife and kid. I'll probably take it for a 2nd opinion somewhere. The estimated 4+ hours of labor seems excessive.

Thanks...I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks....I called SOA...and they CAME THROUGH!!!

In fact, the customer care rep was very responsive and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised that they decided to make the repairs under their "Good Will" warrantee program.

Me = happy.

Amen...although the service manager from Fitzmall was great after I called SOA. TO be fair, I never had the chance to talk to him before calling SOA...he said that if there is ever any issue to reach out to him first.

Thanks though for your thoughts!

i'm surprised the air bag srs system wasn't covered anyway. most cars with a 3/36 bumper-to-bumper have a 5/50 srs/seatbelt system warranty that's mandated by the feds. i recently replaced an airbag module on a '04 f150 with 48k and ford paid for it, which kinda surprised me....

but either way, it's cool that it worked out for you.........

Archived