LegacyGT.com

certfied Audi A-4 Certfied BMW xi or legacy

I wouldn't consider the non-turbo Legacy to be fast at all.

I like the Suby AWD system, because it's a full time AWD system, not just AWD when a computer detects slip. However, I'm unsure of how Audi's and BMW's AWD system works.

What are your priorities? If you want speed, the Legacy GT is a clear choice. If it is prestige you want, go Audi or Bimmer. I believe the general consensus is that the Suby AWD system is superior to Audi's, and one of the better ones available from anyone.

I think the AWD on my wifes A4 is more controllable than the subie....the subie tends to want to rotate easily which is fun but can be a handful at times. I think this is due to a couple of factors: 1) the A4 has a lot less power, 2) the A4 has traction control and ESP 3) I think the A4 is a bit heavier so it pushes down through the snow better. And before anyone jumps on me...A4 had RE960 all seasons and I had Dunlop M3 snows. While I think the A4 is easier to drive in the snow I wouldn't say it got me anywhere the subie couldn't and when you consider the value of the subie the answer was clear for me. Oh and add all the maintenance and repairs costs of the Audi that should make your decision easier.

I wouldn't consider the non-turbo Legacy to be fast at all.

I like the Suby AWD system, because it's a full time AWD system, not just AWD when a computer detects slip. However, I'm unsure of how Audi's and BMW's AWD system works.

I agree 100% and would recommend that you don't even consider a non-turbo Legacy. I test drove one and was extremely diasspointed with the lack of power.

The Legacy GT (turbo model) is another story altogether. Love the balance, power, ability to mod, price ...

There are lots of reviews scoring the Legacy GT as better performing than the A4 hands down. Actually I believe that there was a review with a Legacy GT with some minor modifications (by Rallitek if I recall) that outperformed the S4.

Not a bunch of comparisons against the BMW but the price is really no comparison at all ....

Can a 2007Legacy compare favorably to the above listed vehicles. . How fast is the 2.5 legacy non-turbo. Is the awd system as good as the other 2 vehicles.

If you look at long-term costs, the Legacy is the clear winner. Audis tend to be high-maintenance vehicles. You'll need plenty of cash for lots of expensive service trips.

The BMWs tend to me more reliable than Audis, but still need substantially more service than Subarus, and BMW service and parts must be gold-plated, cuz they charge like they are.

I drove my '98 for nearly 100,000 miles with one single major service - to replace the front engine seals and timing belt. It cost me a grand total of about $800. My buddy had a BMW 323, and he said a similar type of service on his cost almost $2000, and that was only one among many service trips for him. It was my only one. At 150,000 miles, the head gaskets are needing replacing, but I hear that this is common for that era ('96-'99), and newer model's gaskets last longer.

The only other work I ever had done on it was change the oil, tires, and spark plugs, and the occasional air filter and tranny flush (auto). That's it.

So far, I've put close to 18,000 miles on my '05 GT, and sprung for several oil changes and a set of tires. Nothing more. Oh, I also have an occasional alignment on both cars.

In my experience, Subies are very reliable. Oh, and I never did a stitch of work on my Justy, until I crashed it, but that's ancient history.

I think the AWD on my wifes A4 is more controllable than the subie....the subie tends to want to rotate easily which is fun but can be a handful at times. I think this is due to a couple of factors: 1) the A4 has a lot less power, 2) the A4 has traction control and ESP 3) I think the A4 is a bit heavier so it pushes down through the snow better. And before anyone jumps on me...A4 had RE960 all seasons and I had Dunlop M3 snows. While I think the A4 is easier to drive in the snow I wouldn't say it got me anywhere the subie couldn't and when you consider the value of the subie the answer was clear for me. Oh and add all the maintenance and repairs costs of the Audi that should make your decision easier.

:whore:

This man speaks the truth!!!

You mentioned the Subie wanting to rotate. I see you have a wagon. I presume the wagon is more tail-heavy, therefore more tail-happy. Although I can get my sedan to rotate just fine on slippery roads, when I really want to.

Archived