LegacyGT.com

Cel P700 & P817

RX300T

hi there, i'm driving a 2005 2.0 legacy gt 5EAT (twin scroll VF38) and would like to know if anyone out there can help me out with the above CEL which i got last night.

CEL and cruise light (flashing) came on. found the codes but can't decipher the problem as i do not have the owner's manual.

seems to be a transmission problem.

P700 staes it's a transmisson system malfunction and P817 states it's a starter motor fault.

Thanks.

RX300T

Do you mean P1700 and P1817? P codes are usually 4 digit.

sorry but i might have missed out on the '1'. but i know it has something to do with the auto trans cause the cruise light was flashing.:redface:

P1817 Sports Mode Switch Circuit (Manual Switch)

P1700 Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction for AT

Time for a trip to the dealer...moved to Warranty

Thanks alot.

dealer is not possible as warranty will definitely be void due to mods to car.

any idea what caused these codes?

Do you have a JDM LGT? What mods do you have?

My guess is that you threw P0700 and P1817.

P0700 means the TCU sent the ECU a code.

Rich listed the P1817 code for you. According to my ADM service manual, it says

SPORT mode and manual mode switch is open or shorted or switch malfunction.

It doesn't seem like it would be caused by your mods. It should still be covered under warranty.

hi there, i'm driving a 2005 2.0 legacy gt 5EAT (twin scroll VF38) and would like to know if anyone out there can help me out with the above CEL which i got last night.

CEL and cruise light (flashing) came on. found the codes but can't decipher the problem as i do not have the owner's manual.

seems to be a transmission problem.

P700 staes it's a transmisson system malfunction and P817 states it's a starter motor fault.

P0700 just means the TCM asked the ECM to turn on the MIL. It can be ignored.

P0817 - Starter Disable Circuit.

This means the TCM has detected either an open or short in the Park/Neutral signal output. Check the Parking Switch fuse. It's #15 in the main fuse box in the engine compartment and it is 20A.

Thanks all for the help.

now that the CEL and cruise light has been reset, is it necessary to replace the fuse?

my tuner uses open ecu to tune my car but after my exhaust and turbo change, yet to retune it.

can i just buy a TPS off the shelf?

car runs normal after the reset.

funny thing, i remember vaguely my tuner telling me that he programmed the ecu such that it will automatically switch from drive to sports mode when certain criteria (eg. TPS and boost) are met. wonder if this caused the problem.

Thanks again. :)

Do you have a JDM LGT? What mods do you have?

My guess is that you threw P0700 and P1817.

P0700 means the TCU sent the ECU a code.

Rich listed the P1817 code for you. According to my ADM service manual, it says

It doesn't seem like it would be caused by your mods. It should still be covered under warranty.

the dealer over here voids the warranty totally even if coilovers are installed :mad:

yes it's a jdm 2.0 lgt.

mods:

- hybrid VF36/38

- total decat with 2" y-pipe and operated mufflers

- blitz i-color sbc

- silicon intake hose

- ecuflash

funny thing, i remember vaguely my tuner telling me that he programmed the ecu such that it will automatically switch from drive to sports mode when certain criteria (eg. TPS and boost) are met. wonder if this caused the problem.

How did he do this with openecu? I didn't think openecu supported TCU changes. I know one of our forum members laments that fact all the time.

Thanks all for the help.

now that the CEL and cruise light has been reset, is it necessary to replace the fuse?

If the car starts then the fuse is intact.

my tuner uses open ecu to tune my car but after my exhaust and turbo change, yet to retune it.

can i just buy a TPS off the shelf?

Why? Your trouble codes are completely unrelated to the TPS.

funny thing, i remember vaguely my tuner telling me that he programmed the ecu such that it will automatically switch from drive to sports mode when certain criteria (eg. TPS and boost) are met.
That's not possible.

Archived