LegacyGT.com

FINALLY - Stage II - Quick Question

Sargeant_002

Ok guys...it's late and I'm tired...and having a few drinks. One of my friends jjust got done helping me install my PERRIN DP. We didn't have the gasket new needed for beteween the catback system and the end of the full length DP. He did a mickey mouse trick to get me through the night...haha...cereal boxes do wonders...so I'm just wondering...what gasket I'll need to finish it right...just a general 3inch two bolt gasket from Napa work?

Thanks in advance...

Brian-

Before someone comes in here screaming search. There are many a thread on this topic.

Short answer is yes a generic 3" 2 bolt gasket will work. You may also want to get some Hi-Temp RTV while you are there. The gasket will work, but they generally leak without a little goo around them.

I used a paper gasket that came with my DP and it smelled like a paper fire under my car every time I park. It leaked the first time I put it up. I then put a little hi-temp on both sides and used straight bolts with lock washers and got them pretty snug.

You can get new exhaust doughnuts from the dealer for about $8 each. This will be my next method. When you use the thin gaskets it jacks up the allignment of the tailpipes. That 1/4" at the union makes a big difference at the rear of the vehicle.

Let's kick this pig!

I had my guy re-use the donut gasket with some of that Silicone RTV. SO far no leaks. That donut gasket is not a big issue maker...the other ones are.

Worst case it leaks...u can get under there yourself pretty easy.

Ya, I just went and bought two doughnuts from the dealer the other day. My original was stuck to the cat pipe and got chewed trying to get it off with a screwdriver. I'm planning on just putting a thin coat of the hi-temp on the NEW doughnut and using the old spring bolts.

I went with an SPT catback to avoid all the fitment issues that the others are having. After doing the install I found the exact same allignment issues with the mufflers. I think it is because the flat gasket pulls the catback too far forward and won't allow any twist at all when you snug the two pipes together. I'll be changing mine back to the new doughnut today or Friday. I will post the results with pics if it fixes the allignment.

Let's kick this pig!

Hope it holds for ya. Don't be alarmed if you smell burning cardboard when you park. It's just your Cheerios box cooking.:lol: I took mine apart and cleaned it all up so I could put the doughnut back in only to find that the dude at the parts counter gave me the wrong size doughnut. I went to put it in and almost lost it in the pipe. I then grabbed my stock cats an it was too small to go on the pipe there.

I did however get everything to line up this time. I started from the mufflers and held them in place while I tightened them to the mid/y pipe (all one peice on the SPT), then loosened the DP bracket bolt near the bottom of the pipe and tightened the DP/MP union and tightened the DP bracket bolt and everything is lined up perfect this time. I just hope it doesn't leak. I reused the flat gasket again. I just took a wire wheel to it to clean the old hi-temp silicone off and layed another coat on and slapped it back up.

Let's kick this pig!

HAHA - Yeah, I won't be to surprised. I'm actually more surprised it worked and is holding up. I guess they didn't actually have a cereal box...but it's something similar...still seems to be working though...meh...what are you gonna' do in a pinch...

We tried the stock donut...wayyyyyyy to small....and with the way the PERRIN system mounts up from the catback to the downpipe...I don't think a donut gasket will work for me...I'm going to contact PERRIN to find out what part they suggest...

Again, thanks for all your help...

Brian-

McGuiver it! Ya gotta do wehat ya gotta do. If your not sucking fumes or smelling anything funny; I 'd just leave it until it does start to leak.

Is it just me or does the completed UP/DP, CBE and Stage II Tune just make the car feel perfect for the street?

Let's kick this pig!

McGuiver it! Ya gotta do wehat ya gotta do. If your not sucking fumes or smelling anything funny; I 'd just leave it until it does start to leak.

Is it just me or does the completed UP/DP, CBE and Stage II Tune just make the car feel perfect for the street?

WORD on both points...it's fine for now...not gonna bother with it until I have to...haha...

I like to say I'm running a Stage II map with a CAI, Up Pipe and TURBO back exhuast...haha...same same though...the streets seem awfully short now though...

Brian-

Ya, I guess it is a TBE now. I just did it as a UP/DP job then the SPT CBE two weeks later. I do believe they adjusted the actual length of the blocks in my city recently also. Boy the end of second gear comes in a hurry.

If I can way break ANY posted speed limit in third gear what am I supposed to do with the other two?

Let's kick this pig!

Go with the Permatex Hi-Temp Spray gasket sealant.

Smoother coating, less chance of uneven build up. Burns off less.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I may have to use the spray on Hi-Temp next time I take mine apart. I keep smelling burning gasket and sealant when I park the car. Every once in a while it smells like a paper fire under my car.

Do you think the people behind me smell this when I'm driving down the road?:confused:

Let's kick this pig!

I may have to use the spray on Hi-Temp next time I take mine apart. I keep smelling burning gasket and sealant when I park the car. Every once in a while it smells like a paper fire under my car.

Do you think the people behind me smell this when I'm driving down the road?:confused:

Only for the one's that can keep up...haha...

Brian-

Archived