LegacyGT.com

Ordering JDM Outback Bumper with Exhaust Cutouts

Well Just an update on this. I called Japan last night and talked to Graham. The bumper was supposed to come with the back beam and the foam piece that attaches to it. I took some pictures of what was missing and I will put them on the webshots account I posted earlier.

The backing beam on the outback is wider side to side and also thicker front to back. You would have to cut 4 inches off both ends and remove the styrofoam piece that goes between the bumper skin and the backing beam to get the skin to fit. The US outback beam is 44 inches and the JDM outback beam has to be a little less than 36 because of the exhaust cutouts. Since the skin is also not as thick front to back from the cargo area to the end of the car by about 1-2 inches you have to have the thinner styrofoam piece. The only other thing you might need, and Ill see what happens when it gets here, is you might need the beam mounting brackets that mount it to the frame. If you go to the King of parts website and find the bumpers w/ outback and wo/ outback you will see a subaru blow up picture that shows all the parts envolved.

This really is a good deal from japan parts for the new bumper already painted.

I went to king of parts and priced all the things that you would need to do this conversion and it would be more than the around 600 I paid. The shipping makes it more but you would still have shipping for everything here in the states and I bet it wouldnt be a whole lot cheaper due to the size of the package. You would also have to pay to have the bumper skin painted.

This thing came with everything you would need in the way of pop rivits, all the aluminum mounting brackets the plastic popits that like to break when you take them out, etc. It really is a full kit especially since I was supposed to get the back beam as well.

I will tell you that you will need a pop rivit gun if you do this mod. The aluminum mounting brackets that come for the side skirt area behind the rear wheels are pop rivited to the bumper skin. When you get everything, they are seperate pieces that you have to put on and they do send you the pop rivits.

Graham said He was going to get on shipping the beam on monday because He couldnt do it over the weekend.

When this is all done Ill try to do a full write up on what I ran into and take some more pictures.

Edit:

SEE POST BELOW THE INFORMATION ON THIS POST IS INCORRECT!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/OBrearbumpercutouts.jpg

I liked that bumper but liked the stock look better. Besides it was over 100 dollars more and it did not have the back beam, was not painted and I am not sure it would come with all the mounting hardware.

One other thing. People who thought about doing this by getting a legacy GT Skin instead of the JDM one are on their own. It may be the same exact parts you need to do the US legacygt bumper but I would not count on it. I think the only way to find out would be for me to get the part numbers of the parts I am getting for the JDM bumper and compare those part numbers to the legacygt part numbers.

Yes you are correct it would have been cheaper. Mmmmm I just didnt think of that..... Take a look around the forum and you will see what a sawsall chop job looks like. I know of only one person that has made that look OK IMO and that is urfsin here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42588&page=90

Coming from a guy with an avatar of a man behind a sheep I can expect nothing less than that kind of unrefined ad-vice.

Take a look at the pictures on the webshots link I already posted you will see what it looks like with the USDM bumper skin removed.

I really do not understand what you are trying to say.

Back on topic though. The bumper beam should be headed my way this week. Once I get it on I will post pictures.

Well Just an update on this. I called Japan last night and talked to Graham. The bumper was supposed to come with the back beam and the foam piece that attaches to it. I took some pictures of what was missing and I will put them on the webshots account I posted earlier.

The backing beam on the outback is wider side to side and also thicker front to back. You would have to cut 4 inches off both ends and remove the styrofoam piece that goes between the bumper skin and the backing beam to get the skin to fit. The US outback beam is 44 inches and the JDM outback beam has to be a little less than 36 because of the exhaust cutouts. Since the skin is also not as thick front to back from the cargo area to the end of the car by about 1-2 inches you have to have the thinner styrofoam piece. The only other thing you might need, and Ill see what happens when it gets here, is you might need the beam mounting brackets that mount it to the frame. If you go to the King of parts website and find the bumpers w/ outback and wo/ outback you will see a subaru blow up picture that shows all the parts envolved.

Well everyone this is all wrong.

I talked to Graham Ware and it seems that you cannot get the bumper beam or the styrofoam piece because on the JDM bumper THERE ISNT ONE!

I posted a few more pics in the jdm bumper folder on my webshots account.

www.webshots.com/user/gregnauman

I also found out that you do not need to cut the ENDS off the bumper beam you need to cut the BOTTOM off the beam.

If you look at the bumper beam from the side, on my 2005 outback xt it has 3 tiers to it. On the legacy GT bumper beam it only has 2 tiers to it.

I also placed some pictures of this.

So In order to put this bumper on you need to cut the bottom tier of the outback bumper beam off to match the legacy GT bumper beam. Remove the foam backing off the beam and put the bumper on.

Ill be testing this procedure tomorrow and let you know if it works.

Well everyone this is all wrong.

I talked to Graham Ware and it seems that you cannot get the bumper beam or the styrofoam piece because on the JDM bumper THERE ISNT ONE!

I posted a few more pics in the jdm bumper folder on my webshots account.

www.webshots.com/user/gregnauman

I also found out that you do not need to cut the ENDS off the bumper beam you need to cut the BOTTOM off the beam.

If you look at the bumper beam from the side, on my 2005 outback xt it has 3 tiers to it. On the legacy GT bumper beam it only has 2 tiers to it.

I also placed some pictures of this.

So In order to put this bumper on you need to cut the bottom tier of the outback bumper beam off to match the legacy GT bumper beam. Remove the foam backing off the beam and put the bumper on.

Ill be testing this procedure tomorrow and let you know if it works.

OK I believe I have the answers to the JDM Outback bumper install now.

I went to the dealer and found out that the bumper beam on my car is a 57712ag22a. This number has been superceded to 57712ag13a and guess what he had one in stock, I looked at it and was disappointed :( because it was just like mine. Too thick top to bottom.

So I had him look up a bumper beam for a legacygt wagon and it was the same 22a or 13a part number, which did not make sense, because it would not fit on anything but an outback without the cutouts. So I thought I was down an out and going to have to continue digging. I cant seem to even get the right bumper beam part number for the legacygt wagon from Subaru.

Anyway, so I went out in the parking lot and decided to get out the tape measure and look at a legacygt SEDAN. LOW AND BEHOLD there was the beam I needed.

I went back into the dealer with the VIN off the car on the lot, and they HAD THE BEAM IN STOCK :)

He brought it down from the warehouse and sure enough that is the beam I needed. :spin:

Brought it home and it fits PERFECTLY in the JDM Skin. :spin:

The only other issue is you have to order the brackets that hold the beam to the frame because they are narrower top to bottom. You may also want to order the foam energy absorber or you might be able to cut yours to fit. I chose to order the abosorber as well. I wanted factory fit and finish.

Here are the part numbers you will need to make the JDM Outback bumper work on your outback as of 8/17/2008

1.Order the JDM Outback bumper KIT from www.japanparts.com

Part # 107-034-S (obviously order the correct color for your car) $766.80

Note: You do not need to order the whole prepainted JDM bumper KIT from japan parts. If you can get just the skin that is all you need. The kit I ordered comes with everything you can imagine to install a rear bumper, Popits clips brackets etc. so it was more expensive. If you go just the skin route you will need a pop rivet gun to move over some brackets on your stock skin. You will also use your existing clip/beam that goes accross the top lip of the skin and is used to clip the top lip to the car. The JDM one will not work

JDM OUTBACK BUMPER OPTIONS:

www.japanparts.com

I am uncertain if the painted and unpainted part numbers are for a JDM OUTBACK. You need to ask Graham.

PAINTED

107-025-015 (order the correct color for your car)$534.60

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...ey=107-025-015

UNPAINTED

107-025-016 $277.20

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...ey=107-025-016

I am positive that this is an Outback bumper because this is what I ordered.

BUMPER KIT

Part # 107-034-S (order the correct color for your car) $766.80

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...lkey=107-034-s

2. Order the Aluminum back beam, brackets and Energy Absorber foam for a 2008 LegacyGT Sedan

Part # 57712AG08A Beam

Part # 57705AG26A Energy Absorber Foam (YOU CANNOT USE THIS SO DO NOT ORDER IT. STILL TOO THICK FOR THE JDM BUMPER SKIN) JUST PUT SKIN ON OVER THE BEAM AND IT WILL FIT PERFECT! UPDATED 9-14-2007

Part # 57714AG02A9P Right Hand Beam Bracket

Part # 57714AG03A9P Left Hand Beam Bracket

Posted pictures to the webshots account. Bumper all installed but still need to do final adjustment on the autospeed exaust.

You do have to move the sway bar up, at least I did. In the final two pictures you will see the swaybar moved upward but I have not moved the exaust upward yet.

Ill do that this weekend and post the Final Pictures.

Also you will see pictures of the styrofoam installed. It would not work I had to remove it. The JDM bumper is just too shallow front to back. It works fine without it though. I tried cutting the tabs sticking up on the foam but that didnt work either so in my final assembly I just took it out.

Last but not least you have to use the bumper beam clip from your old bumper not the one that comes with the JDM Bumper The one that comes with the JDM bumper will not work. I took pictures of both, the shiney new one is the JDM, the not so shiney one is the stock one that I used.

I really dont think you need to order the whole kit from Japan Parts and eventually I will post up a detailed list of parts I used from the JDM bumper kit so you dont spend the amount I did.

OK final pics of bumper and Autospeed Exaust in the JDM Bumper folder on my webshots account. If anyone wants to link them to this thread feel free. If you do post them pretty big.

I ended up cutting the tapered flange off the cobb down pipe and had a 3 inch piece of stainless pipe and a 3 inch flange welded in. I also had to have the muffler shop heat up the S shaped bend in the autospeed pipe and bend it up. It discolored the pipe but it worked really well. There are pictures of this as well.

Ill post some daytime pictures and get a shot of the full length of my car so you can see how much shorter the bumper is when I get it cleaned up this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived